Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can I set-up iPhoto-like EVENTS in Photos

I am finally going to be moving from Mac OS 10.12.6 to 10.14.xx and likely soon 10.15.x -- So I am in the process of moving all my 20+ iPhoto Libraries (from 15 gb to 80 gb each in size) to Photos. For now I will keep the iPhoto Library as well as the new Photos Library-- I have plenty of storage space on 3 different external 2tb and 4tb drives and prefer to have the redundancy.

When I did the first one (all my photos from 2004 to 2006) I see that Photos creates a separate folder in which all my iPhoto events are presented! That is really great! BUT now my key question: when I start using Photos 100% of the time (and no longer the unsupported iPhoto for Mac) I'd still like to have EVENTS or something similar without having to first store all my photos in iPhoto and then transferring them…

CAN I DO THAT -- i.e. can I create "events" in Photos -- or am I limited to just Albums. (What is nice about iPhoto is that you can choose an event PHOTO as the 'icon' if you will for each event). Not sure one can assign an image (photo) to an Album in Photos or???

Thanks for any comments here.

Steve on Friday 20 September 2019

MacBook Pro with Touch Bar

Posted on Sep 20, 2019 3:40 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 20, 2019 10:19 AM

Photos for Mac replaced the iPhoto Events by Moments, and the Moments are created automatically by Photos, based on the location and the time. All photos taken at the same place at the same time are automatically in a Moment.

if you want your own events, like in Photos, you can create albums for each event. For albums you can pick a key photo. But there is a difference. The events have partitioned the library into separate sets of photos. Each photo could only be in one events, the same is true for the new Moments, but albums are not creating a partition - a photo can be in many albums.

You may want to have a look at Old. Toad's user Tip: Moments in Photos are the New Events - Apple Community

As you can see in the preview for Catalina, there will be big changes to Photos. The Moments will be replaced by the Day, which are very different. If you are planning to upgrade to Photos 5 on Catalina, I would not invest too much work into your Photos library right now, before you can test, what Photos 5 can do.

Similar questions

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 20, 2019 10:19 AM in response to Stephen Schulte1

Photos for Mac replaced the iPhoto Events by Moments, and the Moments are created automatically by Photos, based on the location and the time. All photos taken at the same place at the same time are automatically in a Moment.

if you want your own events, like in Photos, you can create albums for each event. For albums you can pick a key photo. But there is a difference. The events have partitioned the library into separate sets of photos. Each photo could only be in one events, the same is true for the new Moments, but albums are not creating a partition - a photo can be in many albums.

You may want to have a look at Old. Toad's user Tip: Moments in Photos are the New Events - Apple Community

As you can see in the preview for Catalina, there will be big changes to Photos. The Moments will be replaced by the Day, which are very different. If you are planning to upgrade to Photos 5 on Catalina, I would not invest too much work into your Photos library right now, before you can test, what Photos 5 can do.

Oct 5, 2019 2:20 AM in response to léonie

Thanks very much! I am now running 10.14.6 Mojave and have moved over 20 iPhoto libraries from iPhoto with over 150,000 photos over 15 years to PHOTOS. Now making 5 sets of backups on 5 different HD's and SSD's -- each over 2 tb of photos and videos!

I will be moving to 10.15 Catalina -- but not right away-- it took me 3 years to leave 10.12.x Sierra!! But will be getting a new Mac Mini and Catalina may already be installed on that by the time I make my purchase.

I appreciate how Photos preserves all my iPhoto events from the 20+ iPhoto libraries I transferred to Photos.

Thanks again for your fast and excellent reply!!

Best regards,

Steve Schulte

Saturday 5 October 2019

Oct 5, 2019 2:49 AM in response to Stephen Schulte1

If you can, try to get the new Mac with Mojave installed. Photos 4.0 on Mojave has several improvements compared to Photo 2.0 on Sierra. Photos 5.0 on Catalina is very different from the current version, as we can see in the preview. Even the Moments, that have replaced the iPhoto events, will no longer be available in Photos 5.0 on Catalina. You can see the changes already in Photos iOS 13 on the iPhone or iPad - there are now Days, Months, Years instead of Moments, Collections, Years. The big difference is, that the Days do no longer show all photos like the moments. Photos is automatically picking favorites to show in the days. The titles and badges are missing, and the thumbnails are large, but all cropped to the "best section". If your new mac comes with Mojave installed, you will have an option to upgrade to Catalina or not.

Oct 5, 2019 3:08 AM in response to léonie

Great information!! Thanks for the fast reply!

I will keep my MacBook Pro-2016 on Mojave for now-- so even if the new Mac Mini has Catalina installed I can still use iPhotos on my current MBP-2016.

However my thought for moving forward with these 2 Macs is this: I will use my Mac Mini when not traveling; but prior to a trip where I want to bring my Mac (and not my iPad) then I want to transfer everything to my MBP-2016 --- probably via a fully bootable "SuperDuper!" BackUp. BUT=> that may not be recommended as the MacOS on the Mac Mini may be the same 10.15.x OS as on the MBP-2016 (when I upgrade to Catalina) BUT the "build" may be specific to each machine and I may not simply be able to reinstall everything from the Mac Mini to the MBP-2016 and have the MBP-2016 function correctly. (Same with returning from a trip -- going the other way around using SuperDuper!)

However perhaps I can just backup my personal files. I used to keep all my files on my ROOT LEVEL HD but recently I have realized that I don't have permission to copy or save files directly to that root level (for example saving a WORD document). So I am considering re-structuring my setup such that I put my key personal folders here: /Users/scschulte/scschulte Main Fldr where the "scschulte Main Fld" will then get about 500 gb of "my stuff" and I could simply transfer that folder back-and-forth using SuperDuper! (or maybe just by literally dragging that folder from one Mac to the other) before and after each trip. (But that would not transfer any photos… (I'll check with Dave, the creator of SuperDuper! to get his opinion on that).

I know this last section has departed a bit from the original PHOTOS question but Photos are a key part of my life now with my Mac-- and I want them available on both Macs. I've been using Macs since 1989!!

Thanks for any comments or whether I should start a new post with this issue of how best to travel and keep 2 Macs synced. (And I really don't want to do that via iCloud or another "cloud" as I have 800 gb of stuff on my Mac at all times and iCloud syncing would be much too slow).

Best regards,

Steve Schulte

Saturday 5 October 2019

Oct 5, 2019 5:04 AM in response to Stephen Schulte1

Steve, for system compatibility questions involving Catalina I would wait until the system has been officially released sometimes this month and we are allowed to discuss it in these forums. Until then we can only mention things that have been publicly released by Apple on the preview pages.

Once Catalina is officially available as a stable release there will probably be a separate Catalina forum, and we can discuss freely which cloning procedure will work for this system.

You will probably have to keep the Photos Library on the same version on all Macs, if you want to use the same library on several computers without iCloud, since you do not want to use iCloud.

iCloud is currently the only way to have the macs and other devices on different system versions and still be able to keep the library in sync across devices. I am using iCloud Photos since a few years, but only for syncing my devices. The photos are all mirrored locally, so I can work with my photo libraries offline and need only to sync them with iCloud, when I want to update the changes across devices. Without "Optimize Storage" iCloud Photos is very fast, since it does not always need to download photos from iCloud, only when I apply adjustments or add new photos.

Can I set-up iPhoto-like EVENTS in Photos

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.