Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to merge Photos libraries but retain iPhotos Events?

So here is the situation:

Until recently I was using Aperture and had multiple (~10) libraries on external drives totalling ~500GB.

I've recently got a new MacBook and switched to using Photos. I've created a new Photos Library for each of the corresponding old Aperture libraries.

For each new Photos Library, I can see I have retained the old Aperture structure under

My Albums > iPhoto Event > *old folder name* (eg 2015 > Event)

Now I want to consolidate all my Photos libraries into one. However, when I merge libraries I lose all the iPhoto Event structure. So all photos end up in one unmanaged folder.

Is it possible to merge these Photo Libraries and retain my filing/folder structure?

Posted on Oct 22, 2022 1:34 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 22, 2022 11:32 AM

It would have been best, to merge the libraries in Aperture, while you could still use Aperture.

If you want to retain the albums and folders, you can also merge the libraries in iCloud.

If you make each of your Photos Libraries your iCloud Photos Libraries, one after the other, your libraries will be merged in iCloud, preserving the albums, folders, adjustments and other metadata. The only items, that will not upload to iCloud, will be your projects, like slideshows or books.

merging your libraries in iCloud would be the best version, if you are using iCloud Photos already.

Which system version is installed on your Mac?

• If you are not using iCloud Photos and are running macOS 10.115 Catalina or a newer system version, the merging with PowerPhotos will give you a nearly lossless merge, as well as merging in iCloud. Merging with PowerPhotos will be a bit faster.
  • If you are using iCloud Photos, merge with iCloud. PowerPhotos is great, but only the most recent version on macOS 12 Monterey can merge albums from your iCloud Photos Library into other libraries. And only since macOS 15 Monterey you can move the edited versions together with the originals, so they remain one photo.

Similar questions

7 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 22, 2022 11:32 AM in response to pemo77

It would have been best, to merge the libraries in Aperture, while you could still use Aperture.

If you want to retain the albums and folders, you can also merge the libraries in iCloud.

If you make each of your Photos Libraries your iCloud Photos Libraries, one after the other, your libraries will be merged in iCloud, preserving the albums, folders, adjustments and other metadata. The only items, that will not upload to iCloud, will be your projects, like slideshows or books.

merging your libraries in iCloud would be the best version, if you are using iCloud Photos already.

Which system version is installed on your Mac?

• If you are not using iCloud Photos and are running macOS 10.115 Catalina or a newer system version, the merging with PowerPhotos will give you a nearly lossless merge, as well as merging in iCloud. Merging with PowerPhotos will be a bit faster.
  • If you are using iCloud Photos, merge with iCloud. PowerPhotos is great, but only the most recent version on macOS 12 Monterey can merge albums from your iCloud Photos Library into other libraries. And only since macOS 15 Monterey you can move the edited versions together with the originals, so they remain one photo.

Oct 22, 2022 10:39 AM in response to pemo77

The best option to merge PHotos libraries is the paid version of PowerPhotos . It will merge libraries including original and edited versions, albums, folders and metadata (keywords, faces, titles, descriptions, etc).

Project are merged as albums with the photos that were in the original project.

The Photos version in Ventura, out sometime by the end of this month its estimated, will merge libraries but only originals (if unedited) or edited versions but not both of the same photo. It also does not merge albums or folders, just photos.

Oct 23, 2022 5:06 AM in response to pemo77

Good Luck! PowerPhotos is a great companion for Photos. You will need the full, paid version to merge libraries and find duplicates, but even the free trial version is great for displaying the metadata with your photos. What I am missing most in Photos, coming from aperture, are the list view and the metadata displayed below the thumbnails. PowerPhotos lets us view the photos in nice table view with the metadata displayed I the columns, so we can sort the photos by the file size or the filenames, etc.

Or as thumbnails with two different kinds of metadata below the thumbnails. and it makes it easy to keep the photos in separate libraries, because we can view one library in photos and another in PowerPhotos, very flexible.

Oct 23, 2022 10:35 AM in response to léonie

That's really useful, thanks! I'm trying to get my workflow finalised and like how you can PowerPhotos organisation works. I don't want to put all my photos in iCloud due to the size and I have them backed up elsewhere, but I like how the multiple libraries works in PowerPhoto - so I should be able to have an iCloud library for those I want there :)

How to merge Photos libraries but retain iPhotos Events?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.