Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Is Gmail log-in broken under Safari 13?

I upgraded to Safari 13 today. After that, I happened to be trying to add a new Gmail account to my Mail app. The app prompted me to authentiate in Safari. But when I clicked "Open Safari", the only thing happened is... The Safari app opened. But no Google log-in page was opened. If I remember correctly, everything works fine under Safari 12. A Google log-in page will appear and let me log in.

This is the butten I clicked.

MacBook Pro with Touch Bar

Posted on Sep 20, 2019 6:54 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 23, 2019 10:12 AM

Yes it is. Do NOT under any circumstances install Safari 13. It will break all your gmail accounts in Apple's Mail app and there is no official fix to this nasty nasty bug. You'll waste hours and hours trying to figure out what's wrong and it will drive you completely nuts.

The only way to solve this problem is by re-downloading Mojave 10.14.6 and re-installing it on your Mac. By doing this Safari will go back to 12.1.12. You might still have to re-authenticate all your gmail accounts but it will work easily under Safari 12. Just follow the prompts and everything will go back to normal.

Safari 13 is seriously destroying lives right now. Don't come even close to it, I've made that mistake and had to pay with three or four days of my time looking for a fix until I figured out it was the **** browser update that broke all my gmail.

You're welcome.

Similar questions

33 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 23, 2019 10:12 AM in response to flying_bo

Yes it is. Do NOT under any circumstances install Safari 13. It will break all your gmail accounts in Apple's Mail app and there is no official fix to this nasty nasty bug. You'll waste hours and hours trying to figure out what's wrong and it will drive you completely nuts.

The only way to solve this problem is by re-downloading Mojave 10.14.6 and re-installing it on your Mac. By doing this Safari will go back to 12.1.12. You might still have to re-authenticate all your gmail accounts but it will work easily under Safari 12. Just follow the prompts and everything will go back to normal.

Safari 13 is seriously destroying lives right now. Don't come even close to it, I've made that mistake and had to pay with three or four days of my time looking for a fix until I figured out it was the **** browser update that broke all my gmail.

You're welcome.

Sep 20, 2019 7:59 AM in response to flying_bo

Are you running any anti - virus programs? Using a VPN?

Try setting up another admin user account in System Preferences/Users & Groups to see if the same problem continues. Please post back on whether or not this worked. Also try the Safe Mode. Please post back on whether or not this worked.

Isolating an issue by using another user account 

Safe Mode - About

If it works in the Safe Mode, try running this program when booted normally and then copy and paste the output in a reply. The program was created by Etresoft, a frequent contributor.  Please use copy and paste as screen shots can be hard to read. Click “Share Report” button in the toolbar, select “Copy to Clipboard” and then paste into a reply. This will show what is running on your computer. No personal information is shown. If the log won’t post, try posting it in Pastebin and provide a link in a reply. After pasting the report in a PasteBin page, go to the top of the page, and copy the address in the URL bar. Paste that in a new reply.        Pastebin

Etrecheck – System Information

Sep 23, 2019 2:19 PM in response to Keith Dvorak

No it isn't. That suggested 8 steps "solution" is way more complicated and time consuming than a quick Mojave re-install. Especially for people who run multiple businesses with multiple gmail accounts that are now all broken. The simplest way to deal with it is by doing this 2 step fix:

1 - Re-install Mojave 10.14.6

2 - Do not upgrade to Safari 13.

Done.

Sep 23, 2019 2:52 PM in response to flying_bo

Even though I don't access gMail via the Mail application, I access the service via Safari and yes, after updating to version 13, I cannot log onto my gMail account. On screen a dialogue box told me to disable cookie, after a few trial & error I gain access by going to Safari preference, then the tab Websites and turn off Content Blockers related to "account.google.com".

See if that works for you at least via Safari; if so, try adding the gMail account as you originally intended to see if that would work. Hope this helps.

Sep 24, 2019 6:47 AM in response to rjkmadison

@rjkmadison,

I experienced the same problem, not with Gmail, which I don't use, but with Google Calendar. The problem occurred when or after I upgraded from macOS 10.13.6 to 10.14.6 over this past weekend. Everything was running fine in 10.13.6, Calendar was happily accessing my Google Calendar without clamoring for authorization ... and it was running Safari 13, albeit probably a version for High Sierra. After the upgrade of macOS I distinctly remember having to approve the update of Safari. I didn't notice until a day after updating Safari that I had a problem with Calendar accessing the Google calendar. I don't know whether that was the case immediately after 10.14.6 was installed, or whether the Safari update caused that. If the upgrade to 10.14.6 triggered the request to complete authentication, then I should have paid more attention and attempted to do so immediately. I guess I was just too focused on completing the upgrade, incl. any software updates, before deciding what the upgrade might have broken.

Sep 24, 2019 7:57 AM in response to Ed K

Hard to say which of the 188+ contributions describes the solution. The last entry simply echos a recommendation in this thread to reinstall Mojave from the App Store. One entry above that claims that setting Google Account | Security | Less secure app access to On somehow solves the problem. I tried that. Trying to use the Google Calendar account in any way on macOS 10.14.6 thereafter still offers the option of invoking Safari to complete the authentication, and clicking that button has the same effect as previously, i. e., no login page for Google appears in Safari.

Is Gmail log-in broken under Safari 13?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.