Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Gmail not opening cannot change password

I have several email accounts I use with the Mail app on my Mac. Recently I changed the password on a Gmail account while logged in to Gmail on the web.

Now when I open Mail, it wants me to update the password for that Gmail account in Safari.

When I click to do so, it hangs, and Safari never opens. I let it try for over an hour.

I can open Safari fine by clicking on the Safari app.

I can open Gmail in Safari and log in to my Gmail account.

I just cannot get the Mail app to open Safari to where I log in to enter my password.

I even tried opening Safari first, logging into Gmail on the web, and then trying to use the Mail app but the same thing happens...it wants me to log in via Safari but it hangs trying to open Safari.

Because of this, I can no longer get my gmail using the Mail app.

MacBook Pro

Posted on Nov 22, 2022 10:19 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 22, 2022 10:46 PM

Start with this if IntelMac...

Safe Boot, (holding Shift key down at startup), does the problem occur in Safe Mode? Could take 10 minutes or more.

Safe mode attempts to repair Disks & clears lots of caches & loads safe Drivers, & prevents loading of 3rd party extensions, so if Safe Mode works try again in regular boot.

Or it may just need an App Password separate from the gMail password…

https://support.google.com/mail/answer/185833?hl=en-GB

Apple Mail won't sign in to Google account - Apple Community

Similar questions

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 22, 2022 10:46 PM in response to zanestein

Start with this if IntelMac...

Safe Boot, (holding Shift key down at startup), does the problem occur in Safe Mode? Could take 10 minutes or more.

Safe mode attempts to repair Disks & clears lots of caches & loads safe Drivers, & prevents loading of 3rd party extensions, so if Safe Mode works try again in regular boot.

Or it may just need an App Password separate from the gMail password…

https://support.google.com/mail/answer/185833?hl=en-GB

Apple Mail won't sign in to Google account - Apple Community

Gmail not opening cannot change password

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.