Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

setting up mail app with gmail account

Hello, I am trying set up the apple mail app with my gmail account. I click the + to add the account. I click "google" for the account type, and I get a message saying "Google requires completing authentication in Safari". I click "open Safari". A private Browsing window appears prompting me to log into my google account. I put in user name, password and the 2 step verification code. I get a window saying MacOS wants access to your google account. I click "allow", and then back on the mail accounts screen I get Authentication Failed. I believe this is happening because it is opening up a Private Browsing window. I changed Safari's preferences to open a up a new window instead a private one, but it will still only open a private window. Can anyone explain why it is still open a private window?

iMac 27", macOS 10.14

Posted on Feb 11, 2020 7:52 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 11, 2020 9:50 AM

After changing Safari's preferences, did you quit and reopen Safari? When you are ready to click "open Safari", try holding down the shift key when Safari is opening to see if you get a non Private window.

Similar questions

5 replies

Feb 11, 2020 10:10 AM in response to Eric Root

Thanks Eric. I did quit and reopen Safari, didn't help. Even rebooted my iMac. Tried holding shift, shift and command, control, option, and a number of other combinations when clicking "open Safari." It always opens a private window. After clicking "allow," that safari login window goes away and all the authentication goes away with it since it is a private window. When I launch Safari it opens a regular window so I know the preference was changed.

setting up mail app with gmail account

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.