Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I can't add Gmail as a mail account to Apple Mail in 10.14.6

I am setting up a new Macbook Pro and when I try to add my gmail account to Apple Mail I get a message that Google requires authentication in Safari. This seemed strange. You get a popup to open Safari and when I do so I just get my home page. I log into Gmail and I can see my mail online but there is nothing to tell me how to add the account. I get the same result when I try to add Google to internet accounts. I've seen other posts about this issue but they all relate to existing Gmail accounts, not a new one. If this is a bug then I guess they'll fix it. If it is something I'm doing I could use some guidance. Thanks.

MacBook Pro with Touch Bar

Posted on Sep 24, 2019 7:37 PM

Similar questions

8 replies

Sep 25, 2019 11:02 AM in response to dialabrain

Just an update on this issue. I installed the Safari update and unfortunately I am getting the same result. When I click on Google to add an account in Internet Accounts I get a message that Google requires authentication via Safari. (This is one of the strangest items I've run into--why would Google care what browser I use.) Anyway I click on OK to open Safari and absolutely nothing happens. I tried it with Safari open and closed and the result is the same. I have set up Gmail on another client. I imagine they will fix this someday. Very odd.

I can't add Gmail as a mail account to Apple Mail in 10.14.6

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.