Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iOS 13 Bug - Volume Control Indicator Keeps Popping Up

Just upgraded to iOS 13 last night. Now, the volume control indicator keeps popping up randomly no matter what I'm doing. It appears on the screen for a second, disappears, and a minute later does the same thing, whether I'm placing a call or looking at my messages. Is this happening to anyone else? Any thoughts on a fix? One thing I have noticed is that it doesn't seem to do it while I'm actually on a call.

iPhone 7

Posted on Sep 20, 2019 10:57 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 21, 2019 11:48 AM

I’ve got the same problem. Whenever my IPhone is connected to Bluetooth, the volume is constantly popping up. I’m usually connected to my car as opposed to headphones, but it’s nothing on the vehicle or the case on the phone. When i say constantly I mean literally every 15 seconds. It’s not from notifications or a dirty headphone or lightning jack. Started immediately after the iOS13 upgrade. The worst is when I’ll be reading a news article or something and every time I touch the screen to scroll it’ll pop up. Also pops up immediately after unlocking the phone. Tried rebooting numerous times, also tried to reset all settings. No luck. Only thing I haven’t tried is a complete wipe to start over. Please help me Apple Wan Kenobi! You’re my only hope!

68 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 21, 2019 11:48 AM in response to rvs053063

I’ve got the same problem. Whenever my IPhone is connected to Bluetooth, the volume is constantly popping up. I’m usually connected to my car as opposed to headphones, but it’s nothing on the vehicle or the case on the phone. When i say constantly I mean literally every 15 seconds. It’s not from notifications or a dirty headphone or lightning jack. Started immediately after the iOS13 upgrade. The worst is when I’ll be reading a news article or something and every time I touch the screen to scroll it’ll pop up. Also pops up immediately after unlocking the phone. Tried rebooting numerous times, also tried to reset all settings. No luck. Only thing I haven’t tried is a complete wipe to start over. Please help me Apple Wan Kenobi! You’re my only hope!

Oct 15, 2019 9:15 AM in response to rvs053063

Do you have a Bluetooth headset connected? That seems to be my issue. Every time you do something on the screen which the iPhone would make any sort of noise for - eg. starting charging, new email or any other notification - I'm guessing it connects the Bluetooth to play the sound - which then pops up the volume slider for some reason... Very annoying.

Mar 9, 2020 7:46 AM in response to rvs053063

iOS 13.3, iPhone SE here, same thing happens with my Bluetooth headphones Sony WI-C300, surprisingly it doesn’t happen with my Bluetooth speaker (Samsung) or other headphones (plantronics) but one thing I noticed is that it seems to happen at around 70-80% volume for me, i.e whenever the volume is around that level the volume bar keeps popping up every 5 seconds but as soon as I decrease it by dragging the bar down to say 50-60% it goes away, some wierd bug, unfortunately I listen mostly at 70-80%, it did disappear for a couple of weeks but suddenly started appearing again. So whoever is facing this try changing volume level to something else and see if it helps (works for me) so you have a temporary workaround.

And I also checked with my friends iPhone X with the same earphones and his doesn’t seem to have this issue at all at any volume level, wierd bug.

Feb 1, 2020 6:56 PM in response to eoin162

Hey all here is how to fix it!! Went to the store today and we figured it out finally!!! Go to your settings and under sounds make sure change with buttons is off! Now it only does it when you first wake up the screen but not while typing . Of course it does not do it on air pods LOL I can live with it this way but eery 3 seconds was driving me crazy!!

Feb 6, 2020 9:12 AM in response to DoubleAtotheRon

I had an issue similar to this but it was more than just the volume popping up. I could actually watch my volume go to zero after it popped up. I would then use the buttons to turn the volume back up but it would repeat itself about every 10 seconds. And even worse, it would randomly call whatever the last number in my call log was. The random calls happened 3 times in a 10 minute span. Extremely frustrating when 911 was the last number I had called.

I started having this problem over the last 24 hours so I tried thinking back to anything I did in that time frame including Bluetooth devices and app installs. The only thing I could come up with was an expensive set of Bluetooth headphones I had paired at the office the day prior. Even though I was 50 miles away from the headphones I decided to go into the profile and delete (forget) it. Low and behold, my phone immediately stopped the volume pop-up and changes and no more random phone calls. I've had zero issues since.

FWIW, I have a Pro Max on 13.3.1. I would suggest removing any Bluetooth devices you have in your pairing list and see if that solves the problem. If so, slowly add them back until you have an issue but realizing you can't assume the one you're connected to is the one creating the problem.

iOS 13 Bug - Volume Control Indicator Keeps Popping Up

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.