Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Flashing question mark folder and can't find my HD instead there is a disk0

Flashing question mark folder and when I enter safe mode in disk utility I can't find my HD and instead there is a disk0 with a mac os x base system. What should I do next?

( Some background ground info, my MacBook wtas charging or turning on so I opened the back and disconnected then reconnected the battery cable. Then it started charging and turned on but got stuck at question mark folder) I tried SMC and PRAM reset neither seemed to work.

This is a mid 2014 MacBook pro retina (A1502)

MacBook

Posted on Sep 20, 2019 2:43 PM

6 replies

Sep 20, 2019 4:24 PM in response to MK11help

Boot into Recovery Mode. Launch Disk Utility and click on "View" and select "Show All Devices". Then if you see the Apple SSD in the left pane, highlight it and take a picture of the Disk Utility window and post the picture here. If the SSD shows up, then try running First Aid on the drive and the drive volume (usually "Macintosh HD"). If Filevault is enabled, then you will first need to unlock and mount the "Macintosh HD" volume. You can run First Aid on the main drive even if Filevault is locked, just not the "Macintosh HD" volume.

@Neil was asking you to physically remove the SSD and reinstall it. Just make sure to first unplug the power adapter and disconnect the battery.

Sep 20, 2019 6:06 PM in response to MK11help

Thanks for confirming. Most likely your SSD has died, although there is a small chance it could be a Logic Board failure in the circuitry supporting the SSD. From my own personal experience every Apple laptop which I've repaired which has lost the SSD has always been to due a defective SSD. Power problems can cause an SSD to suddenly fail. The easiest way to confirm the SSD failure is to have it examined by Apple or an Apple Authorized Service Provider. If Apple confirms the SSD failure, then you can purchase a third party SSD from OWC to bring your laptop back to life. Beside most likely being cheaper than the Apple SSD, the OWC SSD will also be larger and faster.

One thing you can try is Option Boot the laptop and let the laptop sit at the Apple boot picker menu for an hour. Then power off the laptop for a minute. Then repeat the cycle two more times. Sometimes this power cycle trick can "fix" an SSD and bring it back to life.

It doesn't hurt to try an SMC reset and PRAM reset (hold the PRAM reset for at least three chimes). Try reseating the SSD as suggested by @Neil.

If you don't have a backup, then you can try contacting a professional data recovery service such as Drive Savers or OnTrack both of whom are recommended by Apple and other OEMs. Both vendors also provide free estimates.

FYI, sometimes letting an SSD sit for a year or more without any power can sometimes bring the drive back to life, but most likely the data will be corrupt or gone, but it might allow you to re-purpose the laptop if you don't have it repaired now.

Flashing question mark folder and can't find my HD instead there is a disk0

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.