Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iOS 13.0 iTunes Album Artwork

I updated to iOS 13 earlier today, and just got into iTunes on my iPhone; noticed the album artwork on the playlists I’ve built is wrong.

The music is just fine, it’ll just bug me if I can’t see at a glance what song I’m listening to.

It’s probably just an early bug in the new OS; just thought I’d put it out here, see if it’ll garner Apple’s attention to fixing it.

iPhone 8 Plus

Posted on Sep 20, 2019 9:26 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 21, 2019 5:06 PM

I'm using an iPhone XR, and I have the same problem. I updated to iOS13, and my music artwork is messed up. When viewings the list of playlists, It seems that the first 10 or so album covers are correct, but then they are being repeated for all remaining playlists. Artwork is incorrect in other lists as well--artists and albums, for instance. However, when I select an individual playlist with incorrect artwork, the artwork becomes correct while playing it, but still shows incorrect in the list of playlists. I tried re-syncing in iTunes, removing some playlists, and then adding them again, but nothing seems to work. I have also restarted the phone. I may try removing all music and then add it all back, but I'm not hopeful that this will solve the issue.

19 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 21, 2019 5:06 PM in response to seraphim_16

I'm using an iPhone XR, and I have the same problem. I updated to iOS13, and my music artwork is messed up. When viewings the list of playlists, It seems that the first 10 or so album covers are correct, but then they are being repeated for all remaining playlists. Artwork is incorrect in other lists as well--artists and albums, for instance. However, when I select an individual playlist with incorrect artwork, the artwork becomes correct while playing it, but still shows incorrect in the list of playlists. I tried re-syncing in iTunes, removing some playlists, and then adding them again, but nothing seems to work. I have also restarted the phone. I may try removing all music and then add it all back, but I'm not hopeful that this will solve the issue.

Sep 21, 2019 5:33 PM in response to DigitalDada

Mine got messed up on my Mac which wasn’t updated. I discovered they wouldn’t even play. It was certain Artists this happened with. I searched for them in Apple Music and only some of the songs on the album played, I added one or two of the ones that played, but it added the whole album to my library (didn’t really want them all though). After that it was resolved. Not sure what I did exactly to fix it.

If you run into any more issues with missing Apple Music or playlists you can try these steps:

Sign out of the iTunes Store and then sign back in.

In settings - Music - Turn off Sync Library and then turn it back on.and Turn on “Show Apple Music”

Oct 30, 2019 11:34 AM in response to seraphim_16

I was able to get it fixed and working for me. It took some time and process. My steps:

1. deleted all music from my phone,
  2. added the music back to my phone and went through the playlist to see which artwork isn’t displaying or is incorrect (I’m still going through this since it takes time for large collections),
  3. for artwork that needs fixing I went to “Songs” on the left of the iTunes (Music) app on my laptop,
  4. Searched for the artist with incorrect art - did “Get Info” and on the Get Info window I clicked the bottom arrow to quickly click through all that artist’s music.
  5. Just doing that reset all the artwork to the correct artwork. Now, frustratingly some artwork was completely removed for some odd and annoying reason.
  6. for completely removed artwork I had to go remove those songs from list completely (deleted them), dragged them from my music hard drive folder and added them again to iTunes. Doing this I had to add those songs to any playlist again (ugh!).
  7. However, doing these steps fixed it and now the artwork for those songs appears as it used to and as wanted. That’s it. Good luck and take care.

Oct 11, 2019 1:02 PM in response to travisiam

Yep, in LONDON, having same messed up artwork display problems since the new s’ware update (see screenshot). Spent almost an 1hr on the phone trying to explain issue to Apple Support. They didn’t have a clue and kept asking me stupid, irrelevant questions. Apple, sort this mess out ASAP - it’s really frustrating and annoying. My phone was absolutely fine up until now. No point selling these expensive, fancy looking devices if they can’t even sync/save basic artwork.

Oct 10, 2019 6:17 PM in response to seraphim_16

Same here. I’m on 13.1.2 and my artwork at first was all messed up. I removed all music from my phone and synced from scratch, and that mostly fixed it. However, some artwork is not displaying at all on my phone or in iTunes, and other music is still displaying the wrong artwork. If I have 2+ songs from the same album/single with different artwork - it is displaying only the artwork for all related songs from the first song in the playlist. However, if I look at the music file in my HDD the artwork is correct. So, it has artwork but iTunes isn’t displaying it all or incorrectly. Frustrating!!! Come on, Apple!!

Oct 14, 2019 1:29 PM in response to seraphim_16

My problem began with Mojave and iOS 13. I have my iTunes Library on an external SSD. 

After updating to Catalina the issue remained. 

During the update it was mandatory to format the system drive to APFS. I did the same for the external SSD and replaced the music from a redundant drive. Issue remained. 

Here's what fixed it:

1.    Started from scratch a new Library

2.    Reimported the music from the now APFS external to the new Library

3.    Deleted all music from the phone and backed up what was left (settings, etc.) to my Mac

4.    Restored the phone to factory settings and set it up as a new phone

5.    Restored the phone from the backup

6.    Re-sync music

If you have a lot of playlists, export them as XML before starting a new Library. I didn't do this and spent 3 days rebuilding my playlists.

My Library is 326gb. I have ~90 playlists that I sync to the phone. That number changes as I only keep music that I’m currently listening to on the phone. I imported music in batches of 200 album folders per and it took a full day to complete. All purchased iTunes music imported with no issue. 

Oct 15, 2019 3:00 PM in response to buccfitty

Wow. That seems like a lot of faffing around to resolve the issue. Update: on Sunday 13/10/19 I asked for a callback from Apple “customer services” and guess what? They kept me on hold for 70 minutes(!!!!). When I finally spoke to a ‘Senior’ Advisor he was not aware of the issue! He investigated further and found there was an issue. He then said Apple were looking to fix the issue. What an absolute joke. I’ve resorted to accessing my Playlist via an app - at least the correct artwork corresponds with the right playlist. I won’t hold my breath waiting for Apple to sort this mess out.

Nov 23, 2019 9:54 AM in response to seraphim_16

I had the same issue after updating my iphone OS today. I was able to fix it with these simple steps:

1) Connect iphone to iMac (or Macbook) via USB/Lightening cable (per usual)

2) In iTunes, sync all your music (this is just so you don't lose any recently purchased music from your iphone)

3) Once your computer and phone are synced (saving all your recent purchases), change the Music you want to sync to have nothing checked (this will clear all music off your iphone, but keep it all the music on your computer)

4) Run the sync and, when done, ensure there is no music on your iphone

5) Change the sync parameters again (in iTunes) to be all music

6) Run the sync and, when done, ensure all your music is back on your iphone

After step 6, all of my music had the correct cover artwork.

I hope this works for others too!

Dec 21, 2019 5:23 AM in response to seraphim_16

I think the problem is not solved yet. Artwork still be confusedly mixed. I have more than 714 songs in my library but I can’t synchronise over than these 714. One more song add and all artworks get mixed up. It’s frustrating. Same problem when I synch my playlists. Sometime we have a different song overwritten on a part of another song. All this is annoying and frustrating. Try to get it fixed please.

iOS 13.0 iTunes Album Artwork

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.