Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Playlist Art on iPhone after IOS 13

Hello,

Is anyone else encountering the issue of playlist art not showing the correct album art on the iPhone after updating to IOS 13? Yesterday, I updated my old iPhone X to the new IOS and it messed up the album art on my playlists on my iPhone. I just purchased the iPhone 11 Pro today and I was hoping would the issue wouldn’t be there but it still persists. In fact, it seems to randomly select a covert art for a playlist each time I open the music app. However, when I click on the actually playlist the correct album art is there. I know this is minor issue for some, but it is annoying the crap out of me right now lol.

I’m old school in that I manage all of my music via iTunes on windows and I don’t use the cloud at all. I just prefer to do it this way because I have a ton of music that I imported years ago via CD from back in my high school days. Anyone encountering this issue currently? I’ve tried re-syncing all of the music on my phone several times, uninstalling iTunes on my pc and reinstalling it, and cleaning the cache. I’ve had this happen in the past but can’t remember what I did to fix it. The album art is correct on my pc, and correct once I select a playlist on my phone. It’s just wrong when I’m looking at all of my playlists on my phone.

Best,

iPhone X

Posted on Sep 20, 2019 8:04 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 21, 2019 6:27 AM

I upgraded to 13 and experienced the same. So typically frustrating. My playlist artwork is all corrupted. I can no longer select my playlist at a glance. I think I will have to delete all music on my phone and resync. PIA as I have over 8,000 songs on my phone.

382 replies

Oct 1, 2019 5:20 AM in response to speedy_c

Decided to contact Support again, who said to leave feedback at: https://www.apple.com/feedback/

I wrote the following ... maybe if more people do so, and do so OFTENLY until the problem is resolved, Apple will get the point:

I want to report a problem that Apple knows about but still hasn't fixed.

I refer you to: https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/ios-13-beta-5-%E2%80%95-bug-fixes-changes-and-improvements.2191695/

i.e. In iOS 13, "Playlist artwork still shuffles randomly and never match the right artwork after using music app for a while."

And if you go here, you'll see lots of people are affected, so I don't want to hear "this is the first time I've heard of it":

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/250649355

Oct 6, 2019 2:26 AM in response to jlj90

Since updating to IOS 13.1 from 12.4.1 last week on my iPad Pro (purchased last year) my artwork in

music playlists keeps changing.  I have the same problem as ... 

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/250649355?page=1

On page 5 of the thread above it concerns me when someone says they phoned apple support and was told they had not heard of it.  There has been no mention of this except at

https://www.iphoneincanada.ca/news/fix-ios-13-bug-messes-playlist-album-art-music-app/”

Please fix this. 

Oct 9, 2019 4:53 AM in response to Robertl594

Just resent another Bug notification to https://www.apple.com/feedback/.

Perhaps if we bombard them enough, they'll get the hint?

"I want to report a problem that Apple knows about but still hasn't fixed.

I refer you to: https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/ios-13-beta-5-%E2%80%95-bug-fixes-changes-and-improvements.2191695/

i.e. In iOS 13, "Playlist artwork still shuffles randomly and never match the right artwork after using music app for a while."

And if you go here, you'll see lots of people are affected, so I don't want to hear "this is the first time I've heard of it":

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/250649355

This problem still persists with iOS 13.1.2.

I am using iTunes 12.6.5.3 on Windows 10."

Dec 19, 2019 4:26 AM in response to silverdalex

Hi - I have contacted Apple and they sent me a nice note with a couple of helps but I don’t think it’s the fix. I need to call them.

here is the link they sent. I do not have a Mac computer- so?

https://support.apple.com/guide/itunes/add-artwork-itns3027/mac

im thinking it’s something to do with a past file? Although before the new iOS it was fine so maybe not.

I will give update after call to support.

Sep 26, 2019 7:49 AM in response to jlj90

Here is how mine got fixed.

1. On the phone, I permanently deleted all playlists. This also deleted the playlist in iTunes.
  2. Sync'd the phone (removing all music/playlist).
  3. Created playlists manually again in iTunes. (I know, its a heck of a work if the collection is large).
  4. in iTunes, selected the playlists I wanted to Sync to phone and hit the sync button.

Playlists are back on the phone without any issues with the album art now.

I'm on iOS 13.1 and iPhone 7.

Hope it helps.

Oct 13, 2019 4:47 PM in response to Robertl594

My problem began with Mojave and iOS 13. I have my iTunes Library on an external SSD.

After updating to Catalina the issue remained.

During the update it was mandatory to format the system drive to APFS. I did the same for the external SSD and replaced the music from a redundant drive. Issue remained.

Here's what fixed it:

1. Started from scratch a new Library
  2. Reimported the music from the now APFS external to the new Library
  3. Deleted all music from the phone and backed up what was left (settings, etc.) to my Mac
  4. Restored the phone to factory settings and setting it up as a new phone
  5. Restored the phone from the backup
  6. Re-sync music

If you have a lot of playlists, export them as XML before starting a new Library. I didn't do this and spent 3 days rebuilding my playlists.

Oct 29, 2019 4:15 AM in response to Beatleboi61

1. Upgraded to iOS 13.2 on iPhone 10 XS Max
  2. Completely re-synced my playlists using iTunes on Windows 10 (removed all playlists, then re-synced)
  3. Still the problem persists

I will call Apple Support again and ask to speak to a Supervisor again.

The last Supervisor I spoke to admitted Apple is aware of this issue.

I'd rather Apple admit they're not planning to address this issue rather than continue on with false hope.

Oct 31, 2019 8:07 AM in response to daveporterband

I installed the Cs Music app and have not seen any of the artwork issues afterwards. As I understand it, this app sits on top of the iTunes library on the phone as a different interface for the Music app (in fact, it requires the Music app to remain installed on the phone to work).

Based on that, I strongly feel that the artwork issue is entirely in the Music app since iTunes and my library are otherwise working as I'd expect with no changes. And, since Apple is migrating away from iTunes, only maintaining it for WIndows PCs (as I have), I'm not expecting this to rise to the level of an important fix for them.

Two other aspects that I prefer on Cs Music as well:

1. The app knows my playlists - I don't have to go through the odd step of selecting 'downloaded music' to get there, and
  2. The app offers a playlist search feature that works like the contacts search function. Helpful when you have over 100 playlists (which comes from iTunes not having any way to determine if the library has a full album, partial, or only a song...)

I don't stream music, nor feel the need to share what I am listening to on social media. I just want to manage my music on my computer and load it to my phone so I can readily listen to what I want to. So, Cs Music totally filled my needs. If your needs are similar, I highly recommend it.

Ultimately, I'd love it if Apple fixed the Music app to work correctly with artwork again; but, its been months so far (I read it was reported over the summer in beta)... so, I felt the couple of dollars for an app would be a reasonable way to get past the wait.

And in one day, I am already appreciating the simpler user experience on my new app.

Sep 21, 2019 8:45 AM in response to jlj90

I count on my iPhone for my portable music. The makers of the greatest mp3 player ever can’t get music correct on their phone. I don’t do Apple Music. Is this for playlists like mine, made up of iTunes purchases and my own cd’s only or Apple Music too? It’s driving me nuts. Going to have to start over. Getting the iPhone 11 soon anyway. Maybe I’ll wait and fix the problem then. I’m sure Apple doesn’t care about our playlists containing our own music even if half of it was purchased on iTunes.

Oct 1, 2019 11:22 PM in response to jlj90

I’m have the same issue. I’ve restarted my phone back try deleting a few song and adding the back it does work. Example Drake’s album CAREPACKAGE. has a Danity Kane album cover one it. Not it not just recently added songs now it effected some song that I had for awhile . I have an iPhone 6 and there no issue with the album art work on there and has been recently updated. I currently have an iPhoneX this is really annoying with the last 2 updates for iso 13 i

and it still hasnt been resolve it and Apple support has be able to resolve it either. There other issue like my blue when I text isn’t working, pressing my pin to unlock phone not pick up all my typed in #CAN YOU GUY FIX THIS WITH THE NEXT UPDAYE PLEASE!!! I’m really regretting this update

Oct 2, 2019 7:36 AM in response to Robertl594

Since I had to get an iPhone 11 three days after it’s release due to my iPhone 7 battery dying again I only put one playlist on the 11. I’m going on an unplanned road trip so I started putting more playlists on. I’m not saying this is a solution but it works. I edited in new artwork on the playlist from iPhone screenshots. It does work but of course too time consuming. Like many here I have a sh*tload of playlists. I’ve added 41 more playlists editing in the new artwork right away with no issues besides the time it took to do it. I’m waiting for the bug to get fixed before adding anymore playlists. I just have too many to go through them like that. It shouldn’t have to be that hard. If I NEED to add another list I’ll just edit in the new art.

Oct 7, 2019 10:35 AM in response to Robertl594

I have a temporary fix but it’s time consuming. I had to get a new phone since my iPhone 7 was on it’s second battery and was dead in the water. I had over 300 playlists on my 7 256GB, so for the Pro Max11 I’m adding them slowly changing the artwork above the list of songs through phone screenshots of the album covers (Amazon ,Discogs etc) as soon as I add the playlist. It beats the musical chairs of artwork scrambling around and simple. Just a pain. I shouldn’t have to do this but for me this is working. So far I have 63 playlists with no artwork issues. Apple should be the ones telling us they fixed the bug.

Playlist Art on iPhone after IOS 13

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.