Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iOS 13 Photos app crash

Hello!

I’ve just updated my iPhone 8 Plus to iOS 13 and I’m experiencing a very nasty issue when I’m scrolling fast through my photo library or I’m pressing at the top of the screen, for instantly scrolling to the oldest photo. I have approximately 13.000 photos and videos and the app just crashes and closes, showing the home screen.

Has anyone experienced this?

Thank you!

iPhone 8 Plus

Posted on Sep 21, 2019 5:40 AM

52 replies

Sep 21, 2019 8:31 AM in response to bogdan03

I too experience the same problem. I have an iPhone X that I just upgraded and a brand new iPhone 11 Pro Max. They both have the same photos on them and both experience the crash when I scroll back through recents (formerly camera roll). I have about 7,000 photos in the recents (if the count is correct). I will note that I WiFi transferred a small number of photos from a Panasonic camera on italy recently so I do wonder if maybe non iPhone photos in their cause the problem. It was fine on IOS 12. Does anyone know if there is an official bug tracker Apple has we can post these issues too? I know IOS 13.1 is supposed to be out sometime this next week. Hopefully that upgrade just fixes the issue.

Sep 21, 2019 5:00 PM in response to princemadhur

Yes, it’s true that it doesn’t happen when you go to all photos section and you scroll up or press on top to instantly scroll to the first picture, BUT it does crash if you try to do it backwards - scroll down really fast (swiping up). Give it a go 😀

Thank you for your responses, at least we know that it’s a general problem and hopefully it will be solved on 13.1

Sep 22, 2019 1:55 PM in response to bogdan03

I upgraded my iPhone 7 Plus to iOS 13 and I had the identical problem. When I scroll too fast the photo app crashes. If I scroll slowly I can make it through all of my 18,000 photos without it crashing, but once I start scrolling fast the photo app just crashes. Once I received my iPhone 11 Pro Max I tried out the photos app and the exact same problem occurs. Hopefully Apple will correct this in their iOS 13.1 release.

Sep 23, 2019 3:34 AM in response to bogdan03

iOS 13 photos app on iPhone XS now dating 90% of photos as 16 August 2018 (46000) photos on phone. The photos with locations and dates dating from 2005 have been correct over 4 iPhones and three Macs for years now.

Completely mixed up dates, lost 95% of locations and yes it crashes the app if I scroll too fast. Completely screwed up my library

Sep 23, 2019 5:09 AM in response to bogdan03

I have the same issue. Contacted Apple support about it. They were like yeah, it's a known problem. The fix isn't there yet, hopefully soon..... i still have a little hope of the fix coming with 13.1 but since they told me last Saturday the fix isn't developed yet I wouldn't really get my hopes up. The most hilarious I found the guy advising me to check my photos on a laptop until the fix is released. Wait what?

Oct 14, 2019 3:35 PM in response to cbaca51

13.2 or what ever the latest is Hasn’t work for me I still have 11000+ photos the phot app has destroyed the time taken and location on. Further it has totally mixed these up with new photos appearing well before and mixed with photos taken 5 or more years ago. From what I can see this has now backed up to the cloud basically f....ing my whole photo collection and nothing is being done. As usual the so called geniuses have no bloody idea and pass the buck

Oct 16, 2019 10:09 AM in response to bogdan03

Well I’m having similar issues. New iPhone 11 Pro Max 256g. I only have a few hundred images from a clean install. When I create an album I am only able to add a few images otherwise the app crashes. If I try to add more than 10 images it crashes to home screen every time. I’ve restarted multiple times with similar results. Very annoying

im in iOS 13.1.3

Oct 16, 2019 10:21 PM in response to bogdan03

I’m actually having a problem rearranging photos in albums. Whenever I try to slide the photo it moves the other photos out of the way but when I try to drop it in the right spot it just freezes in place. Then when I try to move it it moves in slow motion and not very far. If I press another photo that photo fills the whole screen but the original photo remains on the screen in its minimized size. When I try to back out of the screen the screen freezes momentarily and the onscreen back arrow turns a lighter shade of blue signifying that the arrow is unable to be used.

iOS 13 Photos app crash

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.