Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Catalan Spelling check for Mac OS just like IOS?

How come there's not Catalan Spelling for Mac OS but there is for IOS? Writing in my native language is ratter difficult in a Mac since every word I type is automatically "corrected" too Spanish.

"While Catalan is the 9th language of the European Union in terms of the population where it is the official language, it occupies the 14th position in total number of speakers. In other words, it is much more widely spoken than languages such as Danish, Finnish, Norwegian or Croatian"

I've tried third party dictionaries but they don't seem to work.

Thanks!

Posted on Sep 21, 2019 11:03 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 21, 2019 12:52 PM

Find a third party Catalan dictionary and add it to your ~/Library/Spelling/ folder.

This is an extension for OpenOffice, but you can extract the .aff and .dic files from it using BBEdit.

https://sourceforge.net/projects/aoo-extensions/

Once you put those two files in your Spelling folder, it will spell check with Catalan.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 21, 2019 12:52 PM in response to Isaak

Find a third party Catalan dictionary and add it to your ~/Library/Spelling/ folder.

This is an extension for OpenOffice, but you can extract the .aff and .dic files from it using BBEdit.

https://sourceforge.net/projects/aoo-extensions/

Once you put those two files in your Spelling folder, it will spell check with Catalan.

Sep 21, 2019 12:58 PM in response to Barney-15E

Thanks so much for your ultra rapid answer. I've tried that route several times but it does not work. I had those files installed already ( see screenshot) I've invested close to two hours in the past with no success . I wish it would just work like IOS, where it comes by default and where you can even use voice dictation.

Catalan Spelling check for Mac OS just like IOS?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.