Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Installing a catalan dictionary

Does anyone know how to install a catalan dictionary to get the spell check properly working when I write in that language?

Best

Mac mini, macOS 11.2

Posted on Mar 26, 2021 10:06 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 26, 2021 10:38 AM

andreu75 wrote:

Thank you Tom, but I would like it for spellcheck my grammar in whatever macOS application I use, such as Mail or TextEdit if it is possible. I am not currently using OpenOffice at all.

Apple apps can also use the Open Office dictionaries.

How well they work is something you can only tell by testing. You need to set system prefs > keyboard > text > spelling to Catalan. "Automatic" will probably not work.

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 26, 2021 10:38 AM in response to andreu75

andreu75 wrote:

Thank you Tom, but I would like it for spellcheck my grammar in whatever macOS application I use, such as Mail or TextEdit if it is possible. I am not currently using OpenOffice at all.

Apple apps can also use the Open Office dictionaries.

How well they work is something you can only tell by testing. You need to set system prefs > keyboard > text > spelling to Catalan. "Automatic" will probably not work.

Mar 29, 2021 11:33 AM in response to andreu75

By the way, as said by person who wrote the second article, better not to do this. It does not work fine. I guess you must relaunch your computer each time you change between Catalan and other languages to make it work. In my case, it did work fine once (more or less, still has trouble recognizing Catalan verb conjugations), but did not when I changed later on from automatic to Catalan. A pain in the.

Installing a catalan dictionary

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.