Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

text box below photo

I would like to add a text box below a photo then type within that box. Is this possible? Or, perhaps, is it possible to create a white space at the bottom of the photo (currently the bottom of the photo is black) then add text on top of that portion of the photo as you normally would? Currently I'm editing with the Photo App on my Mac, would I need to use a different program?

iMac Line (2012 and Later)

Posted on Sep 21, 2019 1:17 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 21, 2019 1:46 PM

Photos does not have a feature that allows you to type text in a test box below a photo.

You can put the photo into a slide show and click on the + sign in the lower right of the screen. That will

give you an option to add text. It will look like this:

The easiest way is to File/Export the photo as an original to your desktop and open it in the Preview app on your Mac. After opening the photo do a View/Show Markup Tool Bar. Then click on Tools/Annotate/Test Box. That will give you a text box that you an position anywhere on your photo. You can add a white rectangle at the bottom and overlay the text on it. It will look like this:

In addition, there are any number of photo editing apps out there that can do what you want.

-- Rich

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 21, 2019 1:46 PM in response to kdfoswald

Photos does not have a feature that allows you to type text in a test box below a photo.

You can put the photo into a slide show and click on the + sign in the lower right of the screen. That will

give you an option to add text. It will look like this:

The easiest way is to File/Export the photo as an original to your desktop and open it in the Preview app on your Mac. After opening the photo do a View/Show Markup Tool Bar. Then click on Tools/Annotate/Test Box. That will give you a text box that you an position anywhere on your photo. You can add a white rectangle at the bottom and overlay the text on it. It will look like this:

In addition, there are any number of photo editing apps out there that can do what you want.

-- Rich

text box below photo

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.