Newsroom Update

Apple is introducing a new Apple Watch Pride Edition Braided Solo Loop, matching watch face, and dynamic iOS and iPadOS wallpapers as a way to champion global movements to protect and advance equality for LGBTQ+ communities. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iMessage stuck 'waiting for activation' following iOS 13.0 update

Since updating my iPhone to iOS 13.0, iMessage doesn't work. It says 'Waiting for activation'. FaceTime's doing the same thing.

I've tried switching iMessage and FaceTime off and then on again, Airplane Mode on/off, logging out of iCloud and logging back in, switching the phone off and then on, removing and replacing the SIM card, and doing all of those things together. And I've updated my APN settings. I've also tried waiting, as Apple says it can take up to 24 hours to activate (though I doubt it does take that long).

Any suggestions? Thanks in advance.

iPhone 7 Plus

Posted on Sep 21, 2019 1:43 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 22, 2019 8:16 AM

I have now resolved this, although it took six hours. I also discovered that Apple are aware of this problem: others have had it.

If you have this problem:

1. Try the things suggested in my original post above, as they're quick and easy, and they should fix this for some people. Again: switch iMessage and FaceTime off and then on again, switch Airplane Mode on/off, log out of iCloud and log back in, switch the phone off and then on, remove and replace the SIM card, update your APN settings, and try doing a combination of these things, or all of them together. If you don't know how to do anything mentioned here, try Googling it.
  2. Try connecting to a different WiFi network from your usual one. Switch Messages and FaceTime off in Settings. Power off your phone and start it up again. Switch Messages and FaceTime on. Didn't work for me, but Apple said it has worked for some people.
  3. Do a full back-up of your phone. Do a force restart and configure it as a new phone. In settings, log into your iCloud account and Messages and FaceTime on. Then you can back your phone up from your back-up. This was what worked for me, though I lost all of my apps in the process (but not their data, thank goodness).
1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 22, 2019 8:16 AM in response to Adam's username

I have now resolved this, although it took six hours. I also discovered that Apple are aware of this problem: others have had it.

If you have this problem:

1. Try the things suggested in my original post above, as they're quick and easy, and they should fix this for some people. Again: switch iMessage and FaceTime off and then on again, switch Airplane Mode on/off, log out of iCloud and log back in, switch the phone off and then on, remove and replace the SIM card, update your APN settings, and try doing a combination of these things, or all of them together. If you don't know how to do anything mentioned here, try Googling it.
  2. Try connecting to a different WiFi network from your usual one. Switch Messages and FaceTime off in Settings. Power off your phone and start it up again. Switch Messages and FaceTime on. Didn't work for me, but Apple said it has worked for some people.
  3. Do a full back-up of your phone. Do a force restart and configure it as a new phone. In settings, log into your iCloud account and Messages and FaceTime on. Then you can back your phone up from your back-up. This was what worked for me, though I lost all of my apps in the process (but not their data, thank goodness).

iMessage stuck 'waiting for activation' following iOS 13.0 update

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.