Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

“Message not downloaded from server” iPhone iCloud Email

Hi there. Have seen a few posts similar but looking for suggestions. Have tried the usual, restarting iPhone, mail, logging out of iCloud, etc. Settings all look ok. No error messages other than emails from before restoring are missing content. Everything works fine on Mac and iPad and contents are all there. but not on the iPhone. No problem sending or receiving new new email from the iPhone but all older emails in in-box and folders come up with the message: “Message not downloaded from server”

Problem is in iOS 13 on an iPhone XS Max using iCloud mail after restoring.

Any suggestions appreciated.

iPhone XS

Posted on Sep 21, 2019 2:49 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 22, 2019 7:37 PM

I found this, but did NOT work for me ... issue continues ...

Fix for “this message has not been downloaded from the server error.”

1. Go to Settings > Accounts & Passwords.
  2. Tap Fetch New Data.
  3. Toggle Off Push.
  4. Change Fetch Settings to Automatically. ... 
  5. Tap any account still showing Push and change to Fetch.
  6. Restart your device to update these settings.

11 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 22, 2019 7:37 PM in response to Alan Musgrave

I found this, but did NOT work for me ... issue continues ...

Fix for “this message has not been downloaded from the server error.”

1. Go to Settings > Accounts & Passwords.
  2. Tap Fetch New Data.
  3. Toggle Off Push.
  4. Change Fetch Settings to Automatically. ... 
  5. Tap any account still showing Push and change to Fetch.
  6. Restart your device to update these settings.

Sep 22, 2019 8:09 AM in response to amcsbca

My 11 Pro Max is ok ... All the old emails are fine and retrievable on that device. It's my XS Max from last year that I handed off that's the problem. Have tried everything short of a reset to get iCloud mail to load content on older emails. It sends and retrieves new mail but all the older stuff won't load anything other than the header.

Beginning to wonder if this is a bug in IOS 13 since the emails are all there in iCloud and we can load them on Mac or iPad. I guess we'll see if it resolves.

Sep 22, 2019 8:17 AM in response to Alan Musgrave

I should note that, as you describe, the mail is available on other devices. I have tried most/all of the recommendations found elsewhere for fixing this issue: toggling WiFi, toggling airplane mode, restarting the phone, turning iCloud mail off and on, resetting network settings, force quitting the mail app, etc

Does seem to either be a bug with iOS 13 or an issue with the iCloud mail server. I only have the two accounts set up on my phone (and Exchange is working properly), so I can’t say if the issue is more widespread.

Sep 22, 2019 7:22 PM in response to Alan Musgrave

I set up my iPhone 11 Pro Max today and have EXACTLY the same behavior. Have tried all of the usual and nothing has resolved. As mentioned by another poster, I have NO ISSUES with my Exchange email back to company HQ or Hotmail.

NOTE: I used the automated transfer phone-to-phone of all settings, accounts, etc. from my prior iPhone Xs MAX to the new iPhone 11 Pro Max. Everything is working fine, except for this.

“Message not downloaded from server” iPhone iCloud Email

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.