Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Newsroom Update

Apple is introducing a new Apple Watch Pride Edition Braided Solo Loop, matching watch face, and dynamic iOS and iPadOS wallpapers as a way to champion global movements to protect and advance equality for LGBTQ+ communities. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iOS 13 Lock Sound Stays Louder than System Setting

After updating to iOS 13 I've noticed the Lock Screen Sound stays loud even when I have the Ringer volume turned to it's lowest (not muted) setting. This happened with previous versions of iOS and then went away (probably thru an update). Anyone else experiencing this and is it a known issue to Apple?

iPhone XR

Posted on Sep 21, 2019 5:15 PM

Similar questions

74 replies

Dec 17, 2019 1:44 AM in response to jmimac351

Yup.. same here.

Fluctuating/inconsistent volume for keyboard clicks\lock sound\camera shutter on my Iphone 11 Pro Max IOS 13.3.

It's very frustrating.I tried absolutely everything and nothing works.Beside the temporary fix mentioned here of course but i want a permanent fix. I did my part.. i called apple and told them about it, i gave them feedback of the problem on the apple website and i'm posting here asswell just maybe apple notices that loads of people have this problem.

i'm paying to much money for your overpriced piece of **** to have to deal with these kind of bugs.Samsung galaxy note 10 starts to look better and better with every frustrating bug i come across form this PRO, TOP OF THE RANGE, REALLY EXPENSIVE DEVICE!

Apr 17, 2020 10:48 PM in response to jmimac351

Hey jmimac351,

Try following these steps:

1. Go into Settings > Sounds and Haptics > Turn the Lock Sound slider off.
  2. Restart your iPhone. Make sure to wait 60 seconds before you press the power again to turn your iPhone back on.
  3. Repeat step 1, except this time turn the Lock Sound slider on.
  4. Restart your iPhone again.

If you still need help, by all means reply to this thread.

Grey360

Jul 26, 2020 2:03 AM in response to jmimac351

Just noticed this on my iPhone XS as well today, on iOS 13.5.1. While the lock sound was the most obvious one, it also affected the timer sound from my short time of testing it out -- but only when the timer reached zero while I was outside the clock app itself.

I almost always keep my phone on silent mode, but this is frustrating none the less.

I can also report the same of how the volume slider when using the physical volume buttons does not match nor change the volume slider in the control center. The two are now seemingly entirely disconnected from one another, and changing one does not change the other.

I did not even realize that was possible.

Lowering the volume through the control center seems to fix it, and although both sliders are still disconnected from one another I now have both set to 5-10%, so hopefully that should do the trick.

Edit: TIL I realized that iOS disconnects the ringer volume from the system volume, and this seems to be what's causing the bug to happen? Basically, it's not a bug, it's a feature...? Why is there no option to connect them to the same single volume slider? Why does the physical buttons either have to change the ringer volume (leaving the system volume untouched) or the system volume (leaving the ringer volume untouched). Why not have it change both?

Well, I am actually thoroughly baffled that I never realized this behavior until today, despite having used iPhones exclusively since the 3G model.

And I really don't like that design decision.

Anyway, so, solution is rather simple: Set the ringer volume (Settings > Sounds & Haptics > Ringer and Alerts volume slider) to the same as the system volume (Control Center > volume slider).

This screenshot highlights the difference in the volume sliders:

Nov 27, 2019 11:19 PM in response to jmimac351

Having exactly the same issues. Hard reset didn't work neither did turning it off and then back on again, and also turning down the volume while it plays music doesn't work as the lock screen sound only stays low until you increase the volume back again. Basically you don't need to play music for this (non)fix. The volume of the lock screen sound is unfortunately influenced/adjusted by the music volume not by the ringer volume - poor job Apple!

-- Using iPhone XS with iOS 13.2.3 --

Nov 30, 2019 3:30 AM in response to tmck81

I just upgraded to 13.2.3 (the latest as far as I can tell) and it's definitely not fixed. It appears that if you reboot, unlock your phone, then immediately lock it, the lock volume works correctly, but after you actually do some stuff, it'll be hosed again. That may have led the one poster to think it was fixed after an update.

Dec 19, 2019 7:35 PM in response to franek

I went to test this as I was wondering if that is why I have missed some alarms in the past but I now can't get the volume to change on the alarm/lock button volume no matter what I do. Seems to be random which is why some people on here says it doesn't work. I know I was originally able to fix it by adjusting my 5-0 Radio app (that is what caused the high volume on my lock button originally) but now changing the volume on there or any app like music, YouTube, etc. does not change the volume on the lock or alarm. So I can vouch that it sometimes works properly and other times it doesn't.

iOS 13 Lock Sound Stays Louder than System Setting

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.