Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

"Always on Display" not working on the Apple Watch Series 5

Is anyone else have a problem with the "Always on Display" not working on the Apple Watch Series 5?

I have a Series 5 aluminum cellular.

[Re-Titled by Moderator]

Apple Watch

Posted on Sep 21, 2019 6:00 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 27, 2019 9:06 AM

I would recommend you check your settings and ensure you have the latest software update. See this article:

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT210428

Please, report back with specific details on what you’ve tried, if it is resolved, or what happened when you tried.

16 replies

Oct 7, 2019 7:32 PM in response to saliustripe

I got my series 5 on release day and out of the box I was having this issue. I called Apple support and troubleshooted the issue with support over the phone for an hour or so with no solution found. By the end of the call it was recommended that I take the watch in for service, I opted to return the watch to Sprint for a replacement. Today I got my replacement in, and it seems that the "Always on" feature is somewhat working depending on where I position the watch on my wrist. I have dark tattoos on the area where I usually wear my watch. When I switched the watch to my right arm (which doesn't have tattoos in that area) and changed the orientation to my right wrist, it seems to work as designed. I've been experimenting with this for a few hours and it seems that if I intentionally place the sensor on the back of the watch on the tiny area of my left wrist (my tattooed wrist) that doesn't have ink on it and adjust the band tight enough, the feature seems to work. Tattoos seem to be effecting the sensor, thus effecting the "always on" feature.

This still occurs after updating to Watch OS 6.0.1 (the latest software)

Nov 2, 2019 2:16 PM in response to AppleProDre

I have a new Apple Watch Series 5 aluminum, 44mm, GPS only. It is current running Watch OS 6.1. I connect to an iPhone 11 Pro running iOS 13.2. Today, the screen on the watch no longer stays on, and won't even come on when I raise my wrist. I have to tap the screen, or press a button to get it to come on. Using the Work-out app, the screen goes dark when I lower my wrist and requires a tap to wake up.. I've tried different watch faces, but that didn't help. The Watch app's display setting is set to Always On.

"Always on Display" not working on the Apple Watch Series 5

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.