Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iOS 13, Siri making calls on speaker phone by default.

Since updating to iOS 13, I have noticed that when ever I ask Siri to make a phone call for me, the call is placed using speaker phone every time by default. I am not asking to put the call on speaker and I have tried restarting my phone with no luck. Every time I say something like, “Hey Siri, call Jim.” The call is placed and put on speaker phone. I then have to tap to turn speak off, and then continue the call.

I hope this is a bug that Apple is aware of and fixing soon.

Is anyone else experiencing the same issue?

This is on iPhone XS, iOS 13.0

iPhone XS

Posted on Sep 22, 2019 4:07 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 25, 2019 12:46 AM

I'm repeating the workaround fix, I posted below.

1. Go to Assessibility > Touch > Call Audio Routing

There are 3 default choices: "Automatic", "Bluetooth Headset" or "Speaker"

2. Choose "Bluetooth Headset". NOT the default "automatic" - which is broken in iOS13.1

NOTE: I do not use much less own a Bluetooth headset. But it mostly fixes the problem.

If it's like my iPhone 11 Pro, it will be on "automatic" by default - which always got to speaker when using Siri to make a call. But I just tested it using "Bluetooth Headset"., and when I asked Siri to call a number, she responded that she is calling that number using the speaker. But the speaker was OFF. Let that sink in - this a very broken iOS feature.

So, it goes to speaker when it is set to the default "automatic", and doesn't when it is changed to "Bluetooth headset".

Similar questions

135 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 25, 2019 12:46 AM in response to dormeas

I'm repeating the workaround fix, I posted below.

2. Choose "Bluetooth Headset". NOT the default "automatic" - which is broken in iOS13.1

NOTE: I do not use much less own a Bluetooth headset. But it mostly fixes the problem.

If it's like my iPhone 11 Pro, it will be on "automatic" by default - which always got to speaker when using Siri to make a call. But I just tested it using "Bluetooth Headset"., and when I asked Siri to call a number, she responded that she is calling that number using the speaker. But the speaker was OFF. Let that sink in - this a very broken iOS feature.

So, it goes to speaker when it is set to the default "automatic", and doesn't when it is changed to "Bluetooth headset".

Sep 25, 2019 12:21 AM in response to djtnyc

I just discovered a fix. Yes it is definitely broken, here is a workaround that I think works - in a weird way.

Oct 21, 2019 8:10 PM in response to Lawrence Finch

Spent an hour with Apple support this evening. They have confirmed it is a bug and are working on a fix. I was told to expect an update in the next week or two. I won’t hold my breath but if they take too long i will return my iphone (my first... got it 3 months ago).

There are other bugs...

• App dialogs locking the screen so you can't even get to the home screen unless you respond to the dialog.
  • Changing keyboards locks up.
  • App crashes.
  • The new text editing... sucks in general. I had it drag me all over a webpage just trying to place my cursor!

Sep 23, 2019 8:16 PM in response to Sedril

OMG!!! This Is driving Me insane! I’ve called support yesterday and today and both reps told me that it’s something I’m doing wrong and made me do a hard reset. Just wasted time staying on the phone about two hours and resetting my phone. I hope to God this is fixed when 13.1 comes out tomorrow. This didn’t start until i upgraded to 13 a couple of days ago. 🤦‍♂️

Sep 23, 2019 10:20 PM in response to YoJerms

I know the feeling. I spent over an hour with Verizon support. Did the System Reset, All Reset, and even "unpaired" both iPhone7s from the truck's system. Siri still says "Calling (person), on speaker..." no matter what I say to her. There's no place in any settings menu to instruct the system to return to default, so calls will route to the handset unless we specifically tell Siri to "Call (person), on speaker". I think this is the most annoying surprise change I've experienced from an update. Surely they'll fix it.

Sep 27, 2019 7:17 AM in response to dormeas

I just read that this is a "new feature" of IOS 13 and it's designed to default to speaker phone when using "hey Siri". Apples logic is too many people were complaining that in the past when they used "hey Siri" as a hands free option, they would have to manually push the speaker button to continue hands free talking or they would have to say "hey Siri, call ______ on speaker" which they felt was annoying to have to say that many words. It's the best of Siri features, section 12 on the link below. There is no work around to go back to the old way as far as I can tell.

https://ios.gadgethacks.com/news/best-new-siri-features-commands-ios-13-for-iphone-0204717/

Sep 27, 2019 5:44 PM in response to dormeas

i’m having the opposite problem. when i say, “siri, call my wife on speaker.” (which i did all the time on ios 12.x) siri would respond by saying, “calling ‘(insert my wife’s name)’ on speaker.” now it just calls my wife and responds, “calling ‘(insert my wife’s name).’”

Q:

Siri will not activate speakerphone

Sep 28, 2019 7:45 PM in response to YoJerms

This is so dangerous and where I live, you will get a substantial ticket and demerit points for even TOUCHING your phone while driving....so an additional reason why Apple needs to change this feature back. I really hope Apple is reading these posts. On another note, before I found this thread I called tech support and his suggestion was to reset all the settings on my phone.....so up until today, the tech people at Apple are not aware of this (poor) change. 😢

iOS 13, Siri making calls on speaker phone by default.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.