Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

SSD SMART status failing in MBP mid 2012

I see that the SSD SMART status is showing "Failing". (The disk is listed as OWC Aura Pro rMBP).

I understand that SSDs have a finite life but is there any way of ascertaining how *critical* is the current state? (and how much time I have left!)

I have 3 backups - Time Machine, SuperDuper clone and Backblaze (cloud)

If the internal SSD does completely fail can I carry on by booting from the external SuperDuper clone?

Posted on Sep 22, 2019 8:28 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 22, 2019 8:36 AM

Mike Felton wrote:

I see that the SSD SMART status is showing "Failing". (The disk is listed as OWC Aura Pro rMBP).

I understand that SSDs have a finite life but is there any way of ascertaining how *critical* is the current state? (and how much time I have left!)
If the internal SSD does completely fail can I carry on by booting from the external SuperDuper clone?

Yes you can carry on using your external boot clone in the event the main drive fails.

Why not replace the PCIe SSD ?

The Aura Pro has a 5 Year OWC SSD Limited Warranty

Have you talked to OWC(?)

https://eshop.macsales.com/shop/ssd/owc/macbook-pro-retina-display/2012-2013

Similar questions

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 22, 2019 8:36 AM in response to Mike Felton

Mike Felton wrote:

Yes you can carry on using your external boot clone in the event the main drive fails.

Why not replace the PCIe SSD ?

The Aura Pro has a 5 Year OWC SSD Limited Warranty

Have you talked to OWC(?)

https://eshop.macsales.com/shop/ssd/owc/macbook-pro-retina-display/2012-2013

Sep 22, 2019 10:35 AM in response to Mike Felton

Mike Felton wrote:

DriveDX may be able to show you the actual SMART Attributes indicating the health of the SSD. The only way macOS is indicating a SMART issue with the SSD is if one of the SMART Attributes has reached its critical level which usually indicates the drive needs to be replaced immediately. Unfortunately NVMe drives such as the Aura SSDs display the information differently than SATA drives, usually with less details. FYI, DriveDX does have some issues with correctly gauging overall SSD health and it's notifications can be a bit misleading.

SSD SMART status failing in MBP mid 2012

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.