Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

My Apple Watch keeps asking for my Apple ID password

My watch keeps asking for my Apple ID password then I enter it and it keeps asking

[Re-Titled by Moderator]

Apple Watch

Posted on Sep 22, 2019 5:44 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 17, 2019 9:04 AM

I have the apple watch version 4 or what eve the newest one is, and it keeps asking me for my apple ID even if I just put it in. I went into settings and there is no option to enter my password to reset. How do I fix this?

373 replies

Oct 9, 2019 9:03 AM in response to mcrina

I HAVE THE RESOLUTION. after experiencing this issue myself where the apple watch is requesting a password and you enter the password from your apple phone but then never receive the verification code this is what you need to do. Yes, It is because many of us have 2 apple IDs (1 for personal associated for you only "1st ID" and other possibly used for itunes and app store for family "2nd ID"). On a device (you decide) .. sign out of the apple id associated with your personal and sign into the one that the APPLE WATCH is asking for. This is a temporary sign out ... after you get the verification code to the 2nd ID then you can sign back in using the 1st ID. I have multiple devices so I signed out and back in using a secondary phone that I have. But you can do this on an IPAD or Macbook also. I would not do this on your primary phone. Once you sign in with the 2nd iD .... go through the verification steps on the WATCH again. This will now send the verification code to the device you used to sign into with the "2nd ID". Get that verification code, use it to verify the watch. Then go to the app store icon on the WATCH and choose any free app to download and make sure it downloads. Wait 5 minutes to confirm that you are no longer receiving this message on the watch anymore and then go back to that device you selected to now SIGN OUT using the 2nd ID and sign back in with the 1st ID.

These steps should save you 2 hours on the phone with TIER 2 APPLE Support.

TIER 1 apple support will not be able to fix this issue. If you call apple support, you need to specifically request TIER 2 support.

Be blessed and pay it forward!

Oct 20, 2019 7:30 PM in response to ebony_eyes

Bingo! That is exactly right. If your iCloud is one account ("personal"), and your iTunes/APP Store is another (like a "family" account), what's happening is that now you can access the App Store right from your watch, so of course its asking for password and verification code (you can choose which account to use for iCloud and which account to use for App Store in the Watch App settings). But if you're like me, you don't actually have a device that's signed into iCloud USING THE ITUNES/App Store "family" account, so when Apple Watch sends a verification code, there no device that can receive it because they are all signed into the "personal" account. This is why generating a code from Password & Security doesn't work, because that code is associated with the iCloud "personal" account, not the App Store "family" account.

TRY THIS FIRST: The steps ebony_eyes laid out should work, however, this worked for me and may be faster: First, on my Apple Watch, I enter password and clicked "send verification code". Then I signed out out the App Store (Signed into my "family" account) on my phone (on the actual phone settings, not the Apple Watch settings), then signed into the App Store with my "personal" account, then signed out again and resigned in back with my original "family" account. As soon as I signed back in with my "family" account I got a verification code pop up and was able to enter that into the watch.

Good luck!

Oct 30, 2019 12:06 AM in response to asdf1234asdf1234asdf

This is really frustrating, as soon as I reconnect my watch or it goes into my home Wi-Fi area it seems to want my ID and password about 60 or 70 times and I’ve been counting them. It won’t let me put my Apple ID in using the Apple Watch app, as the Apple ID is deemed and won’t let me select it in the Apple Watch app What happens, is it asked for the same ID twice very quickly then waits for about five seconds and then asked for it twice again up to about 60 or 70 times

Oct 3, 2019 8:57 PM in response to ChrisDel71

So this is what I think is happening, at least for me.

1) I had two Apple accounts because I moved to Canada and, at the time, I didn't know how long I'd be here. So I used my original as my US account, and then a secondary account for Canada (since some apps only were available in the Canadian store).

2) Before iOS 13, there was no Watch App store, so any watch apps would automatically get updated when the iPhone updated apps. This wasn't an issue with two ID's as it would prompt you to put in the relevant ID's passwords for the apps on updates, and install them accordingly on your iPhone and Apple Watch.

3) But, I think, now that there is a dedicated App store fo Apple Watch apps, this causes an issue. Since the Apple Watch can only be associated with one Apple ID because of Apple Pay, that the Watch Apps will only update with the ID it's associated with, meaning the secondary will never update since you can't switch over temporarily to update the apps, like you are able to on the iPhone. Yes, your iPhone can also only be associated with one ID, but the Apple Pay settings are separate from the App Store store settings.

***Solution***

I have none at the moment, except for re-downloading all the apps again using the same account, now that I have officially changed the region of my US ID to Canada.

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated, or some actual support from Apple would be great as well.

Again, this is only a theory, as there really is no way to know for sure why this issue is happening. As I have found no solution, because the above recommendation is unable to be preformed because your Apple Watch App does not let you sign out of your associated Apple Watch ID in the "General" settings.

Nov 10, 2019 6:44 PM in response to atreatster

Here is the fix!

1. Open your Apple Watch app on your phone and go to “My Watch
  2. Go to Settings/General & turn off Automatic App Install.
  3. Now go back to “My Watch” and scroll to the bottom to see “Available Apps”.
  4. Any apps you see that are trying to install are the culprits causing the notifications!
  5. Delete those apps from your phone, and if necessary reinstall them with your Apple ID used currently.
  6. Turn Automatic App Install back on if necessary.

You now won't receive any more of those annoying notifications!

Oct 4, 2019 5:17 PM in response to ECPJr0720

Press cancel on your watch (it will pop up again immediately, hit cancel again), after a couple seconds the cycle will happen again. This cycle will happen like six times. After that you won’t get it again for a couple hours. My only solution so far until Apple comes out with a fix. If I click Password and then the keyboard button, I get a pop up on both my iPad and iPhone 11 Pro Max that gives me a keyboard. I put in my password for my Apple ID and enter (or return or next) but no 6 digit code ever shows up. I went into settings to the area where you can always get a code, but that doesn’t work.

Oct 15, 2019 1:20 PM in response to ebony_eyes

I've recently had this same problem and I only have one ID. Having 2 may cause the issue but that is not only cause. I know my ID that I am entering is correct because how else could I be commenting here - Right?

There is a new Watch OS 6 update (6.0.1) that I will do later tonight but the description of this update does not address this (it's about the Mickey watch face not speaking, calendar and display calibration).

But at least I see this is happening to others as well.

Nov 6, 2019 8:00 AM in response to DenisEggl

I was able to enter my password from my phone and I did this below as well; I have not had the issue since. Not sure which one fixed it but I'll take it.

Nov 3, 2019 4:35 PM in response to mcrina

I have a series 4 watch with the same problem. I powered off the watch, powered off my phone waited 30 seconds powered up the phone and then powered up the watch and the message has not returned. Fingers are crossed.

Nov 19, 2019 9:24 PM in response to mcrina

Along with the others, I have the same issue.

i went to see an Apple Genius who had no other suggestion than to unpair and then re pair the watch to the phone.

Didnt work.....

I have tried all other suggestions listed to date and they have failed also.

Solution, walk to your nearest river or large body of water and toss it in. It may sound a little drastic but after the initial remorse we can all just move on.

Nov 8, 2020 6:06 AM in response to mcrina

(I’ve just realised I posted with an older profile above. This is from the current profile) =)

I see there are many different experiences, some people easily fixed the issue where others are still struggling.

Also, this seems to be mostly linked to people who at some point had more than one Apple ID.

I’ll try and suggest a “cleanup” process including Apple ID, watch and other devices under your Apple ID.

BACKUP

Before you begin, make sure your important data is backed up to iCloud, Finder/iTunes or another method of your preference.

In case you have issues with any of the following steps and a restore/reinstall is needed, you might loose any data that hasn’t been backed up.

PART I - Manage your Apple ID down to ONE ACCOUNT ONLY.

1. IF YOU HAVE/HAD MULTIPLE IDs: you will need to choose only ONE Apple ID to be your account. Paid apps/services from a previous Apple ID will need to be purchased again on your current Apple ID as they’re not transferable. Free apps/services will be need to be downloaded again on your current Apple ID.
  2. Make sure your Apple ID password is up to date. Go to https://appleid.apple.com/ - if your login is successful, you’re good to go. Otherwise there’s a link on that same page if you have forgotten Apple ID or password so you can sort it out.
  3. OPTIONAL: I’d recommend signing out of iCloud/app store on all your devices, including old ones if you still have any, so you prevent conflicts with pre-existing logins. It is a clean slate that might prove helpful. Then sign back in with your CURRENT Apple ID and go to step 4 below.
  4. Follow this link to update all your Apple ID related accounts.
  5. Contact Apple Support if you have any issues with the steps above.

PART II - Manage your devices.

1. Unpair your watch from your iPhone. Make sure both devices are on charge, nearby each other and that the iPhone is connected to WiFi with Bluetooth on.
  2. Install any updates pending on your iPhone.
  3. OPTIONAL: if you want a sure fire solution, you could erase and reinstall iOS on your iPhone, set it up as new (without restoring your backup) and then syncing back your iCloud data and re-downloading your apps from the App Store. This might be time consuming but also gives your device a clean slate to start from, preventing potential conflicts from your backup. Then go to step 4 below.
  4. Check that the watch has been removed from your Find My app. If you still see your watch there, erase it from Find My or iCloud.com.
  5. Turn off all your devices.
  6. Turn your iPhone back on, make sure it’s on WiFi with Bluetooth on and connected to charger.
  7. Finally, pair your Apple Watch again.

Hope this helps,

Vicko

Oct 2, 2019 8:32 AM in response to camVFX

Me too! After the most recent update for my Apple Watch ver3, I cannot even use my watch because a screen appears asking me to enter my Password for my Apple ID, but a non-visible keyboard appears so no way to enter that Password and if you hit Cancel then the same screen just reappears as a continuous loop and won’t go away. So no access to my Apple Watch which is now a useless tool around my wrist. Apple Technical Support please reach out to me to fix this issue!

My Apple Watch keeps asking for my Apple ID password

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.