Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Iphone 11 pro max camera app black screen problem

Hi, i have an issue of my camera app was in black screen. I need to stop app from multitask and it ok again. anyone face same issue?

Posted on Sep 22, 2019 9:15 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 23, 2019 1:04 PM

Similar issue here but slight variation. I started using my wife's new iPhone 11 Pro 256GB this morning and noticed that sometimes when loading the camera through the shortcut button from the lock screen, I would get a black screen. Flipping the camera to front camera and back doesn't resolve the problem. Going back to the lock screen and pressing the shortcut button again solves it.

Already missed 2 shots at toddler's first dental visit this morning. Wife doesn't know about it yet but I'm sure it will be a to visit the local Apple store once she finds out this problem with her new phone. The only reason why I bought this phone for her is because of her comments on her current 6s' camera.

25 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 23, 2019 1:04 PM in response to stsg2019

Similar issue here but slight variation. I started using my wife's new iPhone 11 Pro 256GB this morning and noticed that sometimes when loading the camera through the shortcut button from the lock screen, I would get a black screen. Flipping the camera to front camera and back doesn't resolve the problem. Going back to the lock screen and pressing the shortcut button again solves it.

Already missed 2 shots at toddler's first dental visit this morning. Wife doesn't know about it yet but I'm sure it will be a to visit the local Apple store once she finds out this problem with her new phone. The only reason why I bought this phone for her is because of her comments on her current 6s' camera.

Nov 15, 2019 4:39 PM in response to Kevkiller

I bought my wife a new iPhone after she was on Samsung/Google for years. I was so happy she converted as the rest of the family has iPhones and she held out due to the camera always being better. Now that the iPhone has such a great camera she was excited for the move. We were able to take great pictures for a few days and now get the black screen almost every single time the camera app is on. Selfie camera works most of the time. We’ve done all of the tricks to fix and nothing works. She ready for me to buy her another Samsung :( We have the latest update. Apple please fix!!

Nov 15, 2019 4:49 PM in response to beninks

Update on my 9/23 post.

So a few days after my post, and the camera behaving with the black screen every 1/5 times, I passed it to my wife as it is her new phone. Sadly, it did not last through the day when it slipped out of her pocket when she stepped out of the SUV and ended up with very-expensive-glass-meets-pavement.

After some wrangling with Apple, I received a replacement unit and by then, wife is too spooked to use the phone so now I have a phone with the size and color not of my choice. The good thing is this replacement unit's camera acts up less often. I'd say over > 100 instances of sliding to the camera app from lock screen, I only had the black screen twice. The other difference from my earlier post is since this phone is now mine, I have Face ID enabled and the phone is pretty much unlocked when I slide to the camera mode from the lock screen.

If anyone here has gone to the store to get help and gotten some answers, please do share. For now I'm cool living with my less flaky camera.

Dec 4, 2019 12:12 PM in response to SMMISB

I’m sure there could be more than just one definitive issue that can cause the black screen. But in my case it was a defective camera… One of the cameras was not working and all three cameras are needed to take pictures.

I made an appointment at the Apple Genius Bar and they investigated the phone… They offered to replace the camera module in the phone but there were other issues with the phone where it had not completely gone through the last update successfully.

they ultimately swapped out my phone with a direct replacement.

Apple Service has always been fair with me and I am sure they would be fair with anybody. My suggestion is to make an appointment and have the phone serviced.

thNks jc

Feb 4, 2020 5:41 PM in response to stsg2019

When the black camera issue happens, i have noticed WhatsApp does not fully launch or crashes when launched.

I just finished a long call with Apple to troubleshoot the issue. They are suspecting that it is a conflict with an app that I installed and not a hardware issue. But in the end they are still replacing me with a new unit. Let’s see how it goes

Feb 12, 2020 10:20 AM in response to stsg2019

I have an 11 Pro and periodically both cameras go black. I have brought it to an Apple Store and they said they wanted to replace the camera, I guess they meant front and back. I have done a screen recording which shows switching from front to back doesn't fix the issue and neither does switching from video to portrait or to any other mode. Restarting the phone works. So I use my phone for work and have to take pictures to document data but on a few occasions I am not able to do my job without restarting my $1000 phone. I have to do a factory reset with restore and if that doesn't work I have to do a reset without restore. No apple will not replace my $1000 phone, that is not an option. That's a lot of money I paid and now I have to troubleshoot it for them. Like I told them I will keep that into consideration when I need to purchase a new phone or I may just sell my iPhone and my apple watch and buy the S10.

Iphone 11 pro max camera app black screen problem

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.