Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can you protect the camera lens on the Iphone 11 pro max?

So I just purchased the rad new iPhone 11 Pro Max. The only concern is that I am worried about the lens glass of the cameras. There are no real ways to protect the lenses (other than maybe using moment lenses), as none of the cases actually protect the cameras. I know that there is about a millimeter of space between the outside of the case and the camera. But that is all the protection offered. I'm afraid that it will someday rub against something (like keys that I accidentally put in the same pocket as my phone) and scratch, ruining the awesomeness of the cameras in the first place. Does anyone have the same concerns? Is the lens glass super durable? I don't really want to use bulky moment lenses all the time.

iPhone 11 Pro Max

Posted on Sep 23, 2019 2:46 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 23, 2019 3:04 PM

The camera lens cover has been synthetic sapphire for a while. This is similar to sapphire watch crystals. It simply won't scratch unless something at least as hard (like aluminum oxide sandpaper which is really just sapphire) comes in contact.

That doesn't mean it can't crack or shatter, but it would take something really, really hard to scratch it.

7 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 23, 2019 3:04 PM in response to THE_DUDE_HAS_SPOKEN

The camera lens cover has been synthetic sapphire for a while. This is similar to sapphire watch crystals. It simply won't scratch unless something at least as hard (like aluminum oxide sandpaper which is really just sapphire) comes in contact.

That doesn't mean it can't crack or shatter, but it would take something really, really hard to scratch it.

Sep 23, 2019 3:18 PM in response to THE_DUDE_HAS_SPOKEN

Sena cases and others at least have reasonable deep cutouts around the lenses so when sitting flat the lens is not in contact with any surfaces.

I’ve used Sena cases with my iPhones for years and never had a camera lens cracked or scratched. They are pricey cases and they do add some bulk (as any protective case will), but excellent quality and great drop protection. I like folio cases so the screen and front camera is also covered when not in use and carried in a pocket or bag.

Sep 23, 2019 9:08 PM in response to Michael Black

I think my wallet phone case was Sena. Was like $80 ouch. But it did protect my 6s pretty well. I bought the leather Apple brand case for this phone. Really elegant, but you’re right, a folio case does have some benefits. Might look into a Sena case if they are making cases for the 11 pro max. Thanks for the info I totally was thinking about folio cases today. Also looking into a way to plug the charging port to protect it from filling up with lint and cap

Sep 23, 2019 9:34 PM in response to THE_DUDE_HAS_SPOKEN

THE_DUDE_HAS_SPOKEN wrote:
Interesting, good to know. I honestly can say that the camera on my 6s never scratched and it’s been through some abuse. But it did have a deeper cutout in the case. But just paranoid due to the larger size of the cameras. Thanks for the info!

I've got an iPhone 7, where the camera lens cover kind of has a lip and isn't flush with the surface of the case. That little lip has some scratches, but the crystal itself is pristine. The only issue is that it might not be a whole lot of sapphire, and the thinner that a sapphire crystal is, the more likely that it could shatter.

You can see that in watches. A lot of less expensive watches use $10 sapphire crystals that are pretty thin, and some have shattered in rather dramatic fashion. But an expensive divers watch might have a considerably thicker (and heavier) sapphire crystal that is less likely to crack.

Sep 24, 2019 8:52 PM in response to THE_DUDE_HAS_SPOKEN

THE_DUDE_HAS_SPOKEN wrote:

Yeah I’m sure the lip makes a difference. Hopefully the new iPhone has a decent sapphire crystal! Thanks for being so helpful!

Actually the lip doesn't protect the sapphire. It actually sticks out a little bit. I was just trying to get across that the lip scratched rather easily, but the sapphire next to it didn't.

I was thinking of it compared to an iPad camera where the lens cover (which is supposedly just glass) is actually slightly recessed and not protruding like with iPhones.

Can you protect the camera lens on the Iphone 11 pro max?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.