Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhone 11 Pro Max won’t charge wirelessly

Brand new iPhone Pro Max 512gb, last night didn’t charge wirelessly.

• No case on phone
  • Belkin charger that works on my XR

See the image attached, support claim it was charging but there wasn’t enough power getting through so the battery didn’t charge. Their solution was to turn off a feature that is in place to extend the life of the battery.

Im thinking I just need to return the device as it is clearly faulty, any one else had these issues?

See images.

iPhone 11 Pro Max

Posted on Sep 23, 2019 11:58 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 27, 2019 7:12 AM

There is the feature of the phone charging to 80% and stopping which is supposed to help with battery life. You should be able to go into Settings / Battery / Battery Health and switch off Optimized Battery Charging.

In iOS 13, a new charging algorithm will keep your iPhone at 80% when charging overnight. That algorithm will determine when you typically wake up and start the day, and restart the charging sequence to give you fully charged battery when you wake up.

200 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 27, 2019 7:12 AM in response to MrWangsiPhone

There is the feature of the phone charging to 80% and stopping which is supposed to help with battery life. You should be able to go into Settings / Battery / Battery Health and switch off Optimized Battery Charging.

In iOS 13, a new charging algorithm will keep your iPhone at 80% when charging overnight. That algorithm will determine when you typically wake up and start the day, and restart the charging sequence to give you fully charged battery when you wake up.

Sep 27, 2019 1:00 PM in response to Fjacobs94

I am having the same issue with my iPhone 11. It worked fine on my Pixel Stand and then today it no longer works on any Wireless Charger. I updated to 13.1 last night. I tried the Reset All Settings and the Disable Battery Optimization and that doesn't fix it. I believe this is a software issue because I can get it to charge after a reboot but then once it's off, it doesn't work again. I have not tried a factory reset yet but I guess that's the next step.

Sep 28, 2019 7:16 AM in response to cjoppru

I just got the new iPhone 11 and had the same trouble. The night before I had no issues charging my XS on the same charging pad. When I placed my 11 down it made the noise and flashed the charge icon but then right after that, the icon was gone and the phone wasn’t charging. It died in the middle of the night and I had to plug it in this morning.

Jan 27, 2020 5:55 PM in response to Judee Barone

Take your phone in for service.

My iPhone 11 Pro Max works every time on every wireless charger I've tried and so do those of other owners I know.

Genius Bar Reservation and Apple Support Options - Apple

Do note that not all wireless chargers are completely compatible with the 11 Pro Max, so be sure to look for a charger that explicitly states it is.

There are a variety of reasons for this such as charging coil placement and strength, and some chargers that used to work with previous devices no longer do (the Logitech Powered charging stand is one - but they also never claimed to be compatible with the 11 Pro Max.)

Feb 7, 2020 3:19 PM in response to Mandrake990

Mandrake990 wrote:

I purchased the phone 2 months ago. Apple has not fixed this bug yet and seems not aware about this.

Apple please, wake up and do something. It's about your top of the line iPhone!

I have had two 11 Pro Max phones and both have charged properly whenever put on a wireless charger, 100% of the time.

Have you had your phone examined at your local Genius Bar?

Genius Bar Reservation and Apple Support Options - Apple

Nov 10, 2019 1:21 AM in response to jerrell227

Charge time can vary with temperature as the phone tries not to overheat the battery when charging.

What has been published as far as charge times is:

• 0-50%: 30 minutes
  • 0-75%: 45 minutes

Apple has published no specs for the last 25%, but some third-party tests have quoted 1 hour 45 minutes for an iPhone 11 Pro and 1 hour and 57 minutes for an 11 Pro Max,, so 2 hours and 10 minutes sounds like it's within normal parameters.

Basically the phone fast charges to 50%, slows down as it charges to 75%, and more or less trickle charges the final 25%.

Jan 3, 2020 7:16 AM in response to MrWangsiPhone

I think I found a pattern and maybe a work-around.

Solution: Keep it charged relatively high and wireless charging works just fine.

Observations:

• It's not the charger. Reboot helps temporarily.
  • If I keep my phone charged to a relatively high charge by keeping it on a wireless charger in my car and at work it consistently takes a wireless charge.
  • If I let the charge get too low and I haven't determined exactly how low, maybe 20% then I put it on a wireless charger it indicates its charging but doesn't charge.
  • I reboot, it will charge wirelessly
  • Charge it up wired then from then on it deems to charge wirelessly until I let it run down too low.

Solution: Keep it charged relatively high and wireless charging works just fine.

Hopefully Apple will fix this glitch in future updates. I am running iOS 13.3 and haven't noticed any changes in any of the updates. I have had the Pro Max since mid October.

Please test and share your experience so our community can benefit. Thank you for all of your comments.

Oct 27, 2019 11:23 AM in response to Scott__L

Apple should explain this at the time of purchase then. Let the consumer know that previous Qi chargers possibly will not function correctly with your new iPhone 11 Pro/Pro Max. Apple knows of this problem. Rather than be upfront to its consumers, it's placing responsibility on you. It's great that you purchased a new charger and you can use wireless charging. In my case I have many (over a dozen) wireless Qi chargers that are no longer functional to me. All of my friends can use them flawlessly as long as they don't own an iPhone 11. Granted that I'm not using all of my chargers 100% of the time. I just can't use what I've purchased already.

Apple iPhone 11 specs page.

Qi chargers in question.

Oct 30, 2019 11:07 AM in response to GooBlau

Note there are some third party chargers that won't work because of the configuration of the Qi coil or its placement.

For example, the Logitech POWERED wireless charging stand will not charge the 11 Pro Max in portrait mode if the phone is in a case (even one of Apple's), but it will charge the phone out of the case or in landscape mode.

Indeed, the iPhone 11 models are not on their compatible device list:

I know that's not the central issue here, but it's a bit more complex than it would otherwise seem.

I recall at least one other user that had an issue where the Qi pads built into their company's conference room would not charge the iPhone 11 models but would other devices; the solution was to use a different Qi charger.

iPhone 11 Pro Max won’t charge wirelessly

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.