Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Time Machine Restore Button is Grayed out

Hi

I am attempting to restore a very large Iphoto archive (263GB) that is located on a 500GB USB external drive Time Machine (TM) drive. Since this is an Iphoto archive it is obviously from an older version of MacOS that supported Iphoto VS the Photo's app. I am using an IMac with High Sierra on it. The USB drive is definitely formatted for MacOS journaled etc. When I mount this drive it comes up just fine and I can browse to the contents and see the backups etc. When I start TM and drill down and select this Iphoto library from the backup, it calculates the size, but the Restore button is always grayed out and or not illuminated (no matter how long I wait).

I have tried just copying this archive VS restoring with TM, but the copy fails part way thru with that -36 error code. I have also been told (on this forum) that TM backups need to be restored with TM and not just copied over with Finder. Kind of a moot point since the copy fails anyway. I have also run FirstAid on the TM disk and it is clean.

These photo's are very precious to someone and I really need to recover these. I have been at this for a week with no results. Can someone please point me in the right direction here?

Thanks

Posted on Sep 24, 2019 4:16 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 24, 2019 4:30 PM

The best way to migrate photos to a new Mac is with Migration Assistant. You can always select to transfer certain items: in this case these photos

Go Here: Move your content to a new Mac - Apple Support

Similar questions

2 replies

Time Machine Restore Button is Grayed out

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.