Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

IOS 13 Hard drive Support

My external hard drive using an Apple usb A to usb C adapter doesn’t show up on my iPad Pro 11 inch. No notifications and isn’t visible in locations section of files app. It is working on my computer so the hard drive and adapter are working fine. So far I’ve just renamed the main folder DCIM and then added sub folder 100APPLE and put my contents within that folder, but still not showing up. Help please

iPad Pro 11-inch Wi-Fi

Posted on Sep 24, 2019 9:14 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 25, 2019 8:36 AM

Hello,

Most likely your drive is formatted in a way that is not compatible with iPad.

iPadOS 13 supports the following disk formats:

• macOS Extended journaled — YES read and write
  • FAT32 — YES read and write
  • XFAT — YES read and write
  • NTFS — NO
  • APFS — YES

16 replies

Oct 31, 2019 4:08 PM in response to aileen248

You need to purchase the actual, genuine Apple Lightning to USB-3 camera adapter, from Apple, and plug that

adapter into power using your iPad charge cable and Apple power/charging block!

https://www.apple.com/shop/product/MK0W2/lightning-to- usb-3-camera-adapter?fnode=37

You NEED TO PURCHASE THIS EXACT genuine Apple adapter!!

This is THE ONLY adapter that works!

Cheaper ( cheap in price and quality ) third party adapters WILL NOT WORK!!!!

With Lightning connector equipt iPads, you need this adapter as it has a power connection to power both the iPad and to connect a commonplace USB flash memory drive or portable SSD drive.

Without the additional power to the iPad, USB flash drives and portable SSD drives will NOT work with older iPads with the Lightning connector.

The Lightning connector alone cannot convey the necessary power requirements needed for normal USB style flash memory drives.

There are lots of YouTube videos that discuss and demonstrate this.

Nov 24, 2019 6:30 AM in response to MichelPM

I consider the ability to use an external drive with an iPad a huge upgrade, so it's frustrating not being able to find documentation on how this works. I bought a different adapter than the above: https://www.apple.com/shop/product/MD821AM/A/lightning-to-usb-camera-adapter

When I first plugged a flash drive into my iPad, I got this message: "Cannot Use Accessory--IOUSBHostDevice: This accessory requires too much power." I was mad! However, I tried a different flash drive and it immediately showed up in the folder/finder browse window and I could read all the files.

I did look online at the adapter MichelPM recommended. It comes with what appears to be an extra lightning input, though the Apple description doesn't say specifically. It does say "Add even greater capability and versatility to your iPad Pro by powering the Lightning to USB 3 Camera Adapter with a USB Power Adapter. Then you can connect USB peripherals like hubs, Ethernet adapters, audio/MIDI interfaces, and card readers for CompactFlash, SD, microSD, and more." Would this work for any iPad (the description says "pro").? Where would the power come from, since the adapter is plugged into the iPad?

Nov 24, 2019 12:09 PM in response to wabash sphinx

Re-read my post above once again, as everything is very clearly stated.

The Genuine Apple Lightning to USB 3.0 adapter has the lightning port so you can connect external power using ypur Apple lightning/charge cable and Apple power/charge block plugged into a wall power main or power strip.

That adapter works with iOS 13 only compatible iPads that have a lightning connector for external drive use.

As I stated VERY clearly above, with iPads with a lightning connector, for most external drives to be detected and function that adapter must have an external source of power connected to the adapter for all of this to work!

That is the function of the lightning port on this adapter! TO SUPPLY NEEDED EXTERNAL POWER to the adapter and through to the iPad!

Some portable, high power, power banks should be able to be used to supply enough power to the iPad through the lightning port, but I have no way to test all the ones out on the market.

Some portable power banks have been reported to work, some have not.

Jan 7, 2020 9:53 AM in response to MichelPM

I have a 2018 iPAD PRO 12.9.” Some time ago I replaced the spinning drive in my 2012 MAC MINI with an SSD from OWC. They included a case to put the spinner in. I am using that with the iPad, just plugging it directly in via the supplied USB-C cable and it works just fine (for video anyway). Also, it does not fast-drain the iPad battery.

IOS 13 Hard drive Support

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.