Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

VPN connection and keychain access

I have a VPN available through the Dashlane app. It has worked fine on my Macbook Air for a couple of years. Suddenly, every attempt to access the VPN leads to an Apple dialog box saying that Dashlane requires access to my keychain, and requesting my keychain password. But I have *never* used keychain, and I don't have any keychain password. (I tried using my Apple ID - does not work.) So I close out of the box, and get "Cannot connect to VPN." Any ideas? Thank you!

MacBook

Posted on Sep 24, 2019 9:30 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 25, 2019 3:27 PM

Right it is asking to access an entry in your login keychain as per the - enter the "login" keychain password. The password for this keychain is normally the same as the one you use to login to your computer. If you have the computer screen saver configured to ask for a password when you wake it, it will be that same password.

This is nothing to do with AppleIDs it is the computer login password.

Similar questions

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 25, 2019 3:27 PM in response to rich789

Right it is asking to access an entry in your login keychain as per the - enter the "login" keychain password. The password for this keychain is normally the same as the one you use to login to your computer. If you have the computer screen saver configured to ask for a password when you wake it, it will be that same password.

This is nothing to do with AppleIDs it is the computer login password.

Sep 25, 2019 3:23 AM in response to rich789

The dialog box you are seeing should indicate the name of the specific keychain it is trying to access, I would guess this will be your 'login' keychain.

Every user account has at least the following two keychains automatically created when the user account is created.

• login
  • 'local items' (this is how it is listed but the corresponding filename is a long UUID type number)

Many programs will store their credentials in the login keychain but Apple's own programs will generally use the 'local items' keychain i.e. Mail, Calendar, etc.

The passwords for these keychains are normally the same as your user password for logging in to the computer. Occasionally they can get out of sync for example if you have reset the password for your user account, in which case trying the old password is worth doing.

So try the following.

1. Confirm which keychain is being asked for
  2. If login or 'local items' try your user login password, try clicking the 'always allow' button rather than the 'allow' button so you don't keep being asked each time

Sep 25, 2019 3:08 PM in response to John Lockwood

Hi John,

I'm not sure how to do your #1 - all I get is this dialog box. Unfortunately I have gone back through five previous Apple ID pws (not certain that's all the ones I've ever used, but I don't have a record of any others) clicking on both Allow and Always Allow - and still nothing. The only way I can get the box to go away at all is to click on Deny. Which is then followed by a box that appears to be generated by Dashlane saying "VPN unavailable - please check your connection."

Whatever the issue, it seems weird that this box has never come up before in several years of use!

VPN connection and keychain access

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.