Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

IOS 13.1 iPhone - privacy location bug NOT fixed.

Apparently updating 13.1 on phone did not fix the privacy location issue. Anyone else???

Posted on Sep 25, 2019 12:25 AM

54 replies

Sep 26, 2019 10:46 AM in response to gigigigig

Thanks for the update. One of (the many issues) has to do with the fact, that since updating to IOS 13, is the location access permission has been changed. Certain apps default to “Ask Next Time” and will not allow it to be changed. Other app’s remained in the same settings I had chosen prior to IOS 13. From everything I’ve read about this particular problem, is that it is not the application(s) itself, but a bug within IOS 13 and that the recent 13.1 update was suppose to fix this and it has not. At least not on my phone 6s Plus.

Oct 29, 2019 9:13 AM in response to Brklyn-Gal

I updated last night too and was reluctant to post that the issue was fixed. I want to test for a couple of days before being sure.

I did notice that the issue was still there for me when I first rebooted after the install but I went into the find my iPhone settings and turned off the enable offline finding setting and the issue seems to have gone away. Not sure about battery life yet though

Sep 25, 2019 6:35 PM in response to Brklyn-Gal

I have the 11pro max and I did not have any location tracking issues until yesterday when I updated to iOS 13.1.

Yesterday evening and all day today my phone kept showing me the location tracking icon in the status bar but the privacy settings do not show any apps actively tracking my location. I did a hard rest of my phone and set it up as new to see if the issue would go away. The issue seemed to have gone away for a bit but now every time I go into my settings to switch wifi networks the location tracking icon reappears (in my privacy settings I have the wifi location setting set to OFF).

Hopefully apple will fix this quickly

Sep 26, 2019 11:55 AM in response to Brklyn-Gal

I did not have the issue with iOS 13.0 on my iPhone. It only appeared after the 13.1 update. I noticed in one of the weather apps that the setting could not be changed from “ask every time” or “only when using the app” to never. I would select “never” for location tracking and it would not accept it. I tried deleting the app but the issue persists.

If I open my wifi settings the location tracking icon appears every single time. If I quickly go to the privacy, system settings, I can see that there are solid grey icons next to almost all settings even though I have turned almost all of them off. The interesting thing (to me) is that if I toggle some of the settings from OFF to ON they will turn pink while others will not. For example, I only leave the EMERGENCY SOS, SHARE MY LOCATION, and FIND MY IPHONE settings On, and everything else is set to off. If I toggle the LOCATION BASED SUGGESTIONS, SYSTEM CUSTOMIZATION, and WIFI NETWORKING settings back on and off the pink pointer icon appears which would indicate to me that this setting is causing the device’s location to be tracked.

Sep 28, 2019 5:50 AM in response to gigigigig

I installed it yesterday afternoon and the issue is still there for me too, along with other issues that I didn’t have with version 13.0.

Apple really did a poor job with the software so far.

I have an iPad that is running exact same software and apps and uses my same Apple ID and it does not have these issues. It is a wifi only, so it makes me think the issue is related to networking settings

Sep 28, 2019 10:28 PM in response to Brklyn-Gal

I have been able to minimize the issue on my phone. I looked at all of the app settings to find the apps that would not allow me to set permissions to NEVER for location tracking and I deleted them one by one. I also turned off all of the settings privacy, system services section. I rebooted my phone and found that the issue rarely happens now, except when I try to select a wifi network, that still causes the location icon to appear 100% of the time.

I reinstalled all of the apps I had deleted and so far over the last few hours the issue has not been so bad

Oct 15, 2019 3:46 PM in response to Brklyn-Gal

I just installed the latest update from today and the constant location tracking icon is no longer showing. I downloaded the update, but before I installed it I reset the location and privacy settings in my phone. Once it rebooted I opened the apps that normally use my location and granted the permissions I wanted and then used my phone as I normally would and so far so good

Oct 16, 2019 9:03 AM in response to gdigenis

That’s good! However, for me, it hadn’t fixed this issue. In fact, now my battery is draining so much faster with this latest update. Battery was doing well on 13.1.2

It’s awful, that with every update since 13 roll out, each update has created additional problems, for me and I’m certain for many.

Waiting patiently, in the meantime.

IOS 13.1 iPhone - privacy location bug NOT fixed.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.