Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhone photos app curation

So after updating to iOS 13 on my phone, I noticed that photos has a feature where it curates your photos. On the photos tab, if you scroll all the way down it will give you the status.

so I’ve installed iOS 13 on launch on my xs max. And it’s still stuck on curating. The progress bar is almost complete. And it hasn’t finished.

I got an iPhone 11 pro three days ago and signed on to the same Apple ID and it’s stuck as well. My iPad Pro had oddly completed and on the photos tab it says citations complete.

all three devices signed into the same Apple ID. Has been connected to wifi and power.

Any one having this issue as well ?

iPhone XS

Posted on Sep 25, 2019 6:15 AM

Similar questions

77 replies

Sep 27, 2019 12:15 AM in response to tygs

I really don't understand how much time does the process take. I have a work mate that installed iOS 13 last Friday and the process was over in less than 2 days.

My guess is that the process is stuck because the iOS Photos App is trying to sync in some way with the OS X Photos App. However, as Catalina has not been released yet, that sync cannot be completed. Do you have a Mac with the Photos app enabled?

Sep 28, 2019 3:49 PM in response to tygs

So glad I came across this user community when I searched "Mac photo curation". I have about 15 apple devices. I love apple. It has never really let me down. My iPhone X finally finished after about one week. (I have 78,000 images in photos), but the iPad is still processing along. After reading the posts here, I am going to try be patient and just wait on the iPad. The iPad is an older one and iPhone X xms. So, the iphone finishing before the ipad makes sense. But I hate the "waiting" game when it comes to devices and their wait times from processing and such.

Sep 27, 2019 6:59 AM in response to aitormagan

Didn't work or at least it is still on the progress bar , catching up with my new phone lol

• i guess ill just leave it and wait it out or something
  • all its doing is organizing photos but it seems like all the photos are organized
  • maybe there is something wrong with my media that the phone is having trouble reading
  • since it only curated when its connected to wifi, locked and, and connected to a power source its not too concerning lmao

Sep 28, 2019 5:09 PM in response to M13Z

I am glad that i was not the only one who had this "issue"

• 78000 is a lot of photos, I wouldn't want to try and delete and re-add them on iCloud if i had that many so yes best bet is to wait it out, i think someone already mentioned to me to do this.

Although I did delete and re-add my photos because I am impatient and it did seem to work but really can't say that is a set solution.

And yes I hate the waiting game to especially with curation, you don't have a progress bar so you will never know when it will finish or if there is an error

Sep 25, 2019 7:52 AM in response to léonie

I am the OP using a second account as I am not allowed to have phones and logging in requires me to get a code.

I have around 853 phots and videos.

It is weird because the iPad has finished the curation and it has the same amount of photos.

I did update to 13.1 and hoped that it would fix it.

I have recent back up of my phone, I just don't want to restore it via recovery mode/itunes.

I guess I will wait till the end of the week and see if it finishes.

Compare to how much photos you have mine shouldn't take more than a week considering that the iPad has finished

Sep 25, 2019 8:18 AM in response to xxxibygnn

iCloud might be interfering, if you are using iCloud Photos on your devices with "Optimize Storage". I noticed that the scanning of the library for face recognition and object recognition takes much longer, if the photos are not stored locally on my iPhone or iPad. After I disabled "Optimize Storage" the scan finished much faster. The curating requires the previous face detection and object recognition. Can you afford to have all photos and videos stored locally on your devices?

Sep 25, 2019 1:17 PM in response to xxxibygnn

I am having the exactly same problem. I installed iOS 13 on the keynote day and it has been curating photos since then (two weeks ago). Yesterday, I installed iOS 13.1 but it is still curating photos :(. I do not know what to do in order to unstuck the process.

I have 11k photos and 500 videos. My iPhone X has 64 GB so for me it's impossible to download all the original photos into my device. I have also been checking the face recognition process and it finished last week. However, even that process is over, the curation process have been stuck at the same point for days :(.

Sep 27, 2019 7:52 AM in response to aitormagan

I had photos turned on for Mac once and then realized that most of my photos on my Mac are raw formats and JPEGs since I take photos. So I turned it off.

cant be sure if it’s a big since it’s too early but it shouldn’t be normal.

im speaking for my self here where 853 should take a long time under normal conditions.

maybe all of our wifi sucks lmao. 😂😂

Oct 2, 2019 7:24 PM in response to tygs

I have the same issue on my XSMax after update to iOS 13, it was completed on my old phone, the 6S but seem like it takes forever to complete on the XSM (around 11,000 pics). I am glad I found this thread because I could not find the discussion about this issue anywhere else. Still really bugging me seeing that progress bar :(

iPhone photos app curation

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.