Newsroom Update

Apple announces new accessibility features, including Eye Tracking, Music Haptics, and Vocal Shortcuts. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apple watch series 5 and MFI hearing aids

I have a pair of "Made for iPhone" (MFI) hearing aids, which pair happily with my iPhone X, through the Apple Accessibility menu. Last week I bought the cellular version of the Apple Watch, series 5. Does anyone know if I can pair the hearing aids to the Apple Watch, in such a way that I can then use the watch/hearing aids independently of the iPhone?

Apple Watch

Posted on Sep 26, 2019 9:09 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 2, 2019 9:06 AM

I’m having the same problem with my Resound Quattro.

At first even the IPhone iso update 13.1.2 made my hearing aids lose Bluetooth connectivity with the hearing aids and the Resound 3D app. Solution to that was going to settings>Privacy>Bluetooth>Enable Smart 3D.

I’ve still haven’t found a solution to the Apple Watch though. I bought the watch because it’s suppose to be easy for the Hearing Impaired to use along with the Resound “Made for IPhone” device. BTW - Resound Customer Service is non-existent on this issue.

9 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 2, 2019 9:06 AM in response to RMCJ58

I’m having the same problem with my Resound Quattro.

At first even the IPhone iso update 13.1.2 made my hearing aids lose Bluetooth connectivity with the hearing aids and the Resound 3D app. Solution to that was going to settings>Privacy>Bluetooth>Enable Smart 3D.

I’ve still haven’t found a solution to the Apple Watch though. I bought the watch because it’s suppose to be easy for the Hearing Impaired to use along with the Resound “Made for IPhone” device. BTW - Resound Customer Service is non-existent on this issue.

Oct 3, 2019 1:11 AM in response to RMCJ58

Doesn't sound like the Apple Genius had any background in hearing aid issues. This has been a long running issue with many many threads. I will be delighted if it comes in 6-8 weeks but also amazed.

Some discussions say the problem is that the bluetooth protocol used in hearing aids is not 'low energy' BT and so not suitable because it would flatten the batteries too quickly. If this is correct it will probably need hardware

changes

This thread has more content than most threads on the subject:

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/8535003

You could add your voice to the requests to Apple via apple.com/feedback/ 

Oct 2, 2019 11:47 AM in response to ka274

Eventually, I went to an Apple Store and showed the whole phenomenon to a Genius Bar guy. “That’s odd”, he said. There was much consulting with colleagues and research on the internet, and on their own Apple database. To cut a long story short, it seems the problem will need software fixes to IOS 13 and to Watch OS6, which will be developed and rolled out ... at some point! They thought it would take a while, somewhere in the order of 6 weeks to 2 months. Not the best news, I’m afraid, but at least I’m now fairly sure that the hearing aids/watch/phone combo will, eventually, do what I wanted. If there is any change, or there are any further developments, I will try to remember to post here, so that you from the future, trying to solve a similar problem by searching the internet, will know how it all ended!

Oct 7, 2019 9:16 AM in response to mikebhm

The AW5 dialogue box in Accessibility literally offers to Connect MFI hearing aids to the watch. So I would think it highly likely this will eventually work with MFI hearing aids, as many of us have been hoping. Since MFI on iPadOS 13 and iOS 13 is incredibly buggy so far, it comes as no surprise the watch version isn’t even working yet.

Oct 9, 2019 2:26 AM in response to ka274

Update:

I managed to be able to control the hearing aids via Mirroring (iPhone and Watch)

ie: I launched the Smart 3D app on my IPhone and then launched the same app on the Watch simultaneously. Not the best solution, but at least it hints that the capabilities are there.

Ive since written to Resound and I’m waiting for their reply. Hoping for the best to us all.

Oct 26, 2019 12:22 PM in response to RMCJ58

I spent an hour on the phone with Apple support today (2 different calls) and finally learned that MFI hearing aids generally aren't working with Apple Watch 5. It could be a software/firmware issue on Apple side or Resound side, but there is nothing to do but wait for updates. The ReSound Smart 3D app does work on my watch, but is of no use when trying to listen to something downloaded on watch without using iPhone. Unfortunately, Apple support is not very transparent about these things; if they were, it would have saved me and them a lot of time. ReSound support, in my experience over the past year, is non existent. They simply refer everything to your audiologist. My audiologist knows nothing (less than I do) about Apple products or the app,.

Apple watch series 5 and MFI hearing aids

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.