Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

You’re already an Apple Music member

Notification pops up but won’t play music on iPhone XS Max

Posted on Sep 26, 2019 9:47 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 27, 2019 8:31 AM

Tried that and it didn’t work, also tried signing out of the phone all together, restart and logged back in. Didn’t work either.

Ended up going to the Music app, For You, profile @top right and View Apple ID. Clicked on that and changed nothing but, resolved the issue for this device. Thanks for the response!

57 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 27, 2019 8:31 AM in response to Vancouver22

Tried that and it didn’t work, also tried signing out of the phone all together, restart and logged back in. Didn’t work either.

Ended up going to the Music app, For You, profile @top right and View Apple ID. Clicked on that and changed nothing but, resolved the issue for this device. Thanks for the response!

Oct 15, 2019 11:47 AM in response to mbdapple

You will need to check if your account is still active then.

If it is, there’s a “ sync library“ if you’re using iOS 13, if you’re still on ios 12 it’s “ iCloud music library”

if none of these are present you are either not signed into the Apple ID you used for Apple Music or your account has been cancelled (did you miss a payment?)

Check your subscriptions. You can do this in the App Store under your profile , if it says expired , there’s no account Or:

• To manage subscriptions and turn off Automatic Renewals, follow the instructions here:

View, change, or cancel your subscriptions - Apple Support

Dec 15, 2019 1:49 PM in response to akhomeboy

I had the same problem. Took forever to figure it out, but this finally solved the problem:

Step 1:

Settings > [Your Name/Apple ID] > iTunes and App Store > [Your Apple ID] > Sign Out

Step 2:

Open Apple Music > For You > [Sign up for a free trial]

You’ll have to sign in again and verify your device. Once you approve the transaction, you’ll see a window saying you’re already signed up for Apple Music, and it’ll go back to the regular app and things should start working again.

This worked for me. Hope it works for you too.

Dec 25, 2019 7:51 AM in response to icerev63

try doing this, make sure you make another “purchase” of the subscription (which will fail):

1. go to “setting” then sign out of apple id for “app store”
  2. go to the apple music app
  3. make sure u r not logged in to apple id when u enter the music app
  4. wait for the banner/window to pop up asking u to sign up for 3 months free trial
  5. click on it
  6. DONT PRESS the button which says ALREADY A MEMBER
  7. choose the free plan and proceed
  8. log in to ur apple id and wait until PURCHASE PAGE SHOWS UP
  9. enter password and purchase the subscription like normal
  10. then they shld tell u u r already a member and log you in as a normal member and fix the problem

hopefully this helps

Jan 17, 2020 5:37 PM in response to akhomeboy

Same problem here. Started several hours ago. I was listening to Music, paused for a minute, and when I went to resume, Music said "Not playing", so I reselected the song but I kept getting the "You’re already an Apple Music member" error. I was reluctant to Reset All Settings, but none of the other fixes worked so eventually I tried Settings > General > Reset > Reset All Settings, and it worked, but @#$% what a headache, because despite many of the other people replying saying "Reset All Settings didn't seem to do much", it actually resets a TON of settings.

Here are some of the Settings I've spent the last hour restoring to my own settings after Reset All Settings:

• Face ID & Passcode
    • I had to re-setup Face ID and re-add a Passcode, so be warned that your iOS device is completely UNSECURED after Reset All Settings
  • Alarms
    • I was almost late for picking my child up from daycare today because the Alarm that I rely on to remind me did not go off because it was DELETED by the Reset. Luckily I figured this out now or I might've been late for work next week.
  • Notifications
    • Every single app notification has been reset, so now I have to re-authorize notifications for each app and then turn off the @#$%ing notification sounds and badges for all of the apps one by one.
  • Apple Pay
    • At least Reset All Settings warned me about Apple Pay before I reset but it still took forever to add all of my cards back.
  • Ringtones
  • Sounds (keyboard click, lock click, etc)
  • Control Center
  • Background
  • Dark mode

At least I could actually listen to my Apple Music while I restored my settings, but I'm sure there will be a bunch of other reset settings that I'll have to fix in the coming days...

Dec 14, 2019 6:37 AM in response to Ant777

I had this exact same problem that popped out this morning. These solutions didn't work out for me as well, and after turning off the syncing library the menu disappeared. I discovered though that changing the region of the phone (I am from Italy but I had the language of the phone English (UK) ) made the option visible again, and turning back on it fixed the issue. Maybe this is similar to your situation

( When I switched back to English the problem came up again, I guess I'll have to keep it in Italian for some unknown reason )

Dec 24, 2019 12:03 PM in response to akhomeboy

Same issue. Trying to play any song just popped up the message "You're already an Apple Music member." Ok... So why are you not playing music?? And what to do next? No clue. Very frustrating.

Followed lots of different steps with no success, but somehow it finally started working...

I *think* these are the steps that did the trick for me - your mileage may vary:

1 Quit the Music app

2 Settings > Music*

3 Turn off Sync Library**

4 Turn off Show Apple Music

5 Turn Show Apple Music back on again

6 Turn Sync Library back on again

7 re-launch the Music app

*NOTE: this is not under your name (Apple ID, iCloud, iTunes & App Store), and not under "iTunes & App Store" - keep scrolling down on the main Settings screen to "Music" which has the musical note logo

**NOTE: others had issues with all of their music disappearing when this was turned off and back on again. I did not have any music so can't say. I have to assume you can get your music back once it re-syncs? But I guess proceed with caution...

Dec 25, 2019 6:01 AM in response to stupidchum

None of this has worked for me. I started my 3 free months yesterday, and it hasn’t worked since I joined. I keep getting the same message. I have tried signing out and back in. I tried signing out and signing into the music app and nothing happened. When I go to setting and go to music, I can turn off show music but I have no sync library option, but I do see that it still says “join Apple Music” as a clickable. Don’t know why when I have already joined. When I click it, it takes me to the music app and the message pops up again. Stupid loop. Where is apple customer support on this?

Jan 1, 2020 8:40 AM in response to akhomeboy

I had the same problem. Rebooting didn’t work. I called Apple a Support, and they gave me a solution which worked:

on the device which can’t get Apple Music, go to:

Settings —> General —> Reset

Choose “Reset All Settings”

The phone will restart and the problem will be solved.

He said that, “Reset All Settings” doesn’t reset very many things. But the problem occurred on a new iPad which didn’t have any settings I cared about. The account settings weren’t changed, so I think he’s right that it doesn’t reset very much, but you can use Google to see what it will reset if you’re concerned.

Jan 14, 2020 8:13 PM in response to akhomeboy

No other answers worked for me, I think because I’m on a family sharing plan. I had to go to the “organizers” phone (aka my mom), remove myself and invite myself in again and go through the steps to join the family.

On organizers phone:

Settings>[name]>family sharing>[name of your device]>remove family member

then go back out and invite yourself back in through iMessage (or whatever).

I hope no one else has to cry over this like me

Jan 17, 2020 10:08 AM in response to akhomeboy

NEW SOLUTION January 17th 2020.

I just got off the phone with Apple support and they guided me through the solution. It worked right away after struggling with google a reddit for an hour. Step by step:

Settings. Click on your name. iTunes and App Store. Click Apple ID. Sign out.

Force close all apps.

Settings. Scroll down to music. Make sure Show Apple Music is toggled on. Press Join Apple Music. Since you are signed out it will ask you to purchase. Just purchase the free trial. Enter Apple ID and password. Confirm. Password again. Once you do this it will tell you that you are already a member.

Force close everything. Go to settings. Music. Turn on Sync Library. Pay attention to the next question. Keep music or not. Whatever your preference.

Force close it all again. Go to Music app. Library will be syncing but you can search an Apple Music song and play to confirm it works. You’re welcome.

I saw all the posts and trouble people have been having so I had to share. Enjoy.

Trefry

You’re already an Apple Music member

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.