Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iTunes cannot read the contents of the iPhone

Wife's iPhone 6s 16GB bricked on trying to update to iOS 13.1 using iTunes on Windows 10 PC (64-bit OS). Luckily iTunes made a backup that I was able to restore on brand new iPhone 11 Pro Max. However now whenever I connect the iPhone to the same PC it cannot read the contents of the iPhone and prompts to restore to factory settings.

Things I've tried: rebooting iPhone, un-installing/ re-installing iTunes, updating drivers Apple USB device in Windows Device Manager, tried other PC, swapped cables... Nothing works! Have made a new backup, saved in iCloud, but worried if I do restore that my wife's data and settings will be compromised.

Have a suspicion that the 3rd party software I used to copy files from the iPhone, by Xilisoft, has corrupted something in the iOS. Anyone have any ideas how I can get my iPhone to be read by iTunes?

iPhone 11 Pro Max

Posted on Sep 27, 2019 7:28 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 29, 2019 3:48 AM

Okay well I solved the issue by restoring factory settings and was able to restore my wife's data from iCloud backup. Seems strange it happened with brand new device but I'm fairly certain it was Xilisoft iPhone transfer software (that doesn't support iOS 13 yet). Was then able to factory reset original iPhone 6s without any issues and update to latest 13.1.1 version.

Similar questions

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 29, 2019 3:48 AM in response to psybangas

Okay well I solved the issue by restoring factory settings and was able to restore my wife's data from iCloud backup. Seems strange it happened with brand new device but I'm fairly certain it was Xilisoft iPhone transfer software (that doesn't support iOS 13 yet). Was then able to factory reset original iPhone 6s without any issues and update to latest 13.1.1 version.

iTunes cannot read the contents of the iPhone

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.