Windows iTunes, iPhone 12 Pro is detected and then disappears

I recently moved to an iPhone 12 pro as my first iPhone in 5 years. After a couple of days of use I decide to make a local backup on my windows 11 pc through iTunes. However, even though my computer will detect the iPhone and show it in device manager and file explorer, it will only pop for a few seconds in iTunes before disappearing. I've tried reinstalling and restarting multiple times from both the microsoft store and the apple website download, but the problem persists. I gave up and factory reset my phone to try to go back into the set up iPhone step on iTunes, but it still disappears quickly after initially showing up. I then tried on a different windows 11 laptop with the microsoft store version of iTunes, and it did work there. I've searched for hours but all the guides lead to the same steps that haven't helped so far.

I'd appreciate any help!

iPhone 12 Pro

Posted on Oct 18, 2023 7:10 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 19, 2023 3:46 PM

The one other thing I can think of is to make sure you're using a USB 2.0 port, not a 3.0 port. Sometimes that makes a difference.

A 3.0 port is usually blue, while the other is white.

And here's Apple's help article for getting an iPhone recognized by your computer.

If your computer doesn't recognize your iPhone or iPad - Apple Support

~Lyssa

Similar questions

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 19, 2023 3:46 PM in response to DGVas

The one other thing I can think of is to make sure you're using a USB 2.0 port, not a 3.0 port. Sometimes that makes a difference.

A 3.0 port is usually blue, while the other is white.

And here's Apple's help article for getting an iPhone recognized by your computer.

If your computer doesn't recognize your iPhone or iPad - Apple Support

~Lyssa

Windows iTunes, iPhone 12 Pro is detected and then disappears

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.