Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Memory Leak on iTunes for Windows

iTunes version: 12.10.0.7

OS: Windows 10 Pro Insider Preview, Version 1903 (build 18895.1000)

I have ~2400 songs saved in my Apple Music library and I have iTunes set to automatically download it all. When I go to the page of an artist whose music I haven't saved and try to play a song from one of their albums from their Artist page, iTunes freezes and starts allocating more memory indefinitely. I have to kill the process with task manager to recover.

Reproduction steps:

Navigate to any artist in Apple Music whose music is not downloaded locally (search bar with "In Apple Music" selected -> type in any artist -> Artist page)

Click an album to expand the song list

Double click a song

I don't really care to find a fix for my situation but it'd be nice to have this passed to a developer team somewhere.

Posted on Sep 27, 2019 5:37 PM

25 replies

Oct 20, 2019 6:52 AM in response to fxaa

Bump. I'm having the same problem ever since iTunes became an App on the windows store. I can play any song in my library without any problems. Just as you have written if I go to "For You" or play anything from Apple Music, iTunes becomes non-responsive and consumes RAM like no body's business. Apple Music is useless on my Windows at this point in time!

Win 10 Pro 1809 | Intel i7 7700K | 32 GB RAM

Oct 5, 2019 5:36 PM in response to fxaa

I also am having the same issue. It's extremely frustrating. I do not get why iTunes is such a resource hog. It's so slow on Windows 10, its ridiculous. I also frequently return to a frozen iTunes when I get up from my computer and come back a few minutes later, after no interaction whatsoever.

Oct 26, 2019 11:20 AM in response to fxaa

The first post was posted on September 27th and now I'm posting on October 26th. The issue has still not been resolved. Given that this problem happens with music that isn't downloaded, specifically Apple Music, it really is worth considering other streaming services at this point. I can't imagine having my memory leak every single day and not being annoyed into another streaming service for my desktop. I hope this gets resolved soon!

Oct 28, 2019 6:51 AM in response to specialK_olin

The only way i have been able to get around this is going to the store tab, clicking account, making it validate my credentials, then going back into browse and play music. I've had it work a few times and then later try to play and it pull all the memory again. I think it has something to do with losing authentication somewhere. Hope this temporarily helps some of you.

Dec 23, 2019 2:25 AM in response to fxaa

Been having the same issue since late September (just as the majority of the posters). For me, as an Apple user with over 7 years of experience it's sad to see absolutely no actions taken to fix it, now that I'm forced to use a PC due to work requirements. Browser solution's okay, but I'm thinking about moving to Spotify. Thanks, Apple.

Memory Leak on iTunes for Windows

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.