Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Insufficient RAM for iTunes

iTunes is causing RAM issues. I have a very large library of music - 281GB and it was causing applications to run slow when iTunes was open. Trying to play songs has become an issue now too. I have to wait while the coloured ball spins before the song will start. I love my music and don't want to dump any of it. Is there some way to deal with this without losing my music? Can more RAM be allocated to iTunes?

Mac mini, macOS 11.2

Posted on Mar 18, 2021 8:58 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 19, 2021 11:31 AM

Try holding down option+cmd as you launch Music (or are you really running iTunes in Big Sur?) which opens the library in safe mode. This might potentially clear up various indexes within the library. Do you have any third party security software? This can sometimes prevent the application from operating efficiently.

tt2

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 19, 2021 11:31 AM in response to mark-leon

Try holding down option+cmd as you launch Music (or are you really running iTunes in Big Sur?) which opens the library in safe mode. This might potentially clear up various indexes within the library. Do you have any third party security software? This can sometimes prevent the application from operating efficiently.

tt2

Mar 18, 2021 11:56 PM in response to mark-leon

Hi mark-leon,

Activity monitor can help you to see the memory situation more clearly.

https://support.apple.com/en-au/guide/activity-monitor/actmntr1004/mac

Sounds like you may need to free up storage space on your Mac.

Apple has a support page to help you:

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT206996

One way is to save some of the larger files, (incl. movies etc.,) to a portable hard drive.

All the best

Insufficient RAM for iTunes

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.