Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Twitter links won't open in app

After updating to iOS 13.1 I lost the ability to open links to tweets in the native twitter app.

So far I've tried the following, in a variety of different orders:

cleared cache in safari

deleted twitter

reinstalled twitter(from app store, via download links, etc)

restarted phone

I've even attempted to take a link, put it in notes, and hard press to get the "open" option...this always just shows safari as the only option. It's as if the phone doesn't recognize the app is installed, thought it never prompts to open with or install the app in safari.

Hoping someone else has experienced this and has a solution.

iPhone XS

Posted on Sep 27, 2019 8:31 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 27, 2019 8:56 PM

I appreciate you taking the time to respond to me. I definitely understand it's not an apple product. I have already exhausted the depth of that document and scoured the internet for possible fixes. It works fine on my 3 other iOS devices, but on my phone I can't get the links to open in the app. They are all on the same patch level. There's plenty of references of other people having this issue in the past, however the "fixes" then aren't possible in the new OS.

42 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 27, 2019 8:56 PM in response to SravanKrA

I appreciate you taking the time to respond to me. I definitely understand it's not an apple product. I have already exhausted the depth of that document and scoured the internet for possible fixes. It works fine on my 3 other iOS devices, but on my phone I can't get the links to open in the app. They are all on the same patch level. There's plenty of references of other people having this issue in the past, however the "fixes" then aren't possible in the new OS.

Dec 5, 2019 4:38 PM in response to ericlsd

Try the easy solution first, which may be simply restarting your iPhone.

If that doesn’t work, the previously posted solution for this issue works on iPhone 11. If you have an iPhone 11, reset all settings. Make sure you know your passwords because this action will remove all passwords— and reset everything, just like its wording suggests.

After you reset all settings, twitter links should work again.

Oct 22, 2019 1:33 AM in response to cmr2693

I was on the phone with Apple tech support today for 2 hours about this very issue. Absolutely no solution found. I went through a Level 1 support & a senior support person; both were completely frustrated. Nothing worked. Uninstall & reinstall Twitter app. Power cycling. Clearing cache in safari. Tweaking all kinds of settings here & there. Signing in to Twitter on both Safari and app. Nothing.

This started after installing iOS 13.1. Updated to latest 13.1.3. Same problem.

My husband is running 13.1.3 on an iPhone 10. Everything works like a charm. Twitter app opens from messages & other links.

Oct 22, 2019 11:12 AM in response to cmr2693

I’m using an iPhone 11 Pro & have found nothing to fix this issue. The senior Apple Tech suggested I reset all settings on the phone which will wipe out all Apple Pay as well as the other settings I’ve tweaked for the past few weeks. I’m not ready to apply an unproven attempt that’s so time consuming.

My husband’s iPhone X is running iOS 13.1.3 as well and his Twitter app integrates fully across all other apps as well as messages & mail. Works beautifully.

My daughter’s iPhone XR is having the same issues that those of us in this thread are having.

Oct 22, 2019 11:55 PM in response to cmr2693

I found a fix for this issue but nobody is going to like it too much.

Maybe do a backup first. (I rarely do this & have been inconvenienced at time or two.)

Delete the Twitter app. Reset the cache in Safari. Restart.

Then go to “Settings” — “General”. Scroll to the bottom. Tap “Reset.” And then “Reset all settings.”

This will, of course, wipe out all of your settings. It will remove all of the Apple Pay cards that you have set up. It will remove your Apple ID settings as well as your mail settings. You’ll have to redo your Face ID & redo your passcode. *All* settings will reset.

You should not lose photos or notes or any data, such as 1Password info. None of this stuff was disturbed on my iPhone 11 Pro.

After your phone restarts, download Twitter. Enter your info & open it.

Then set up iMessages in settings. Sign into your Apple ID.

In Messages, tap a link for a tweet. It should open in the Twitter app.

If it works, we win.

As I redo my settings, I check after each setting change to see if Twitter will still reopen via Messages. It’s survived everything so far— even switching to dark mode, setting up Face ID, signing into iCloud, setting up mail.

Apparently the links to trigger the opening of the Twitter app via a link broke during an update.

Hopefully Apple will not do this again in the next update, which should be out soon— probably next week.

Please do post if this fix works for you.

Oct 24, 2019 12:17 PM in response to Mohammed Al-Muhaidib

After I posted the “fix” for this on 10/23 (after actually doing it in the 22nd), everything worked like magic— until today. Once again, the links are not working.

The *only* change to the iOS/app ecosystem on my iPhone 11 Pro is a Twitter app update that auto-installed last night.

I’ll redo my “fix”— to toss the Twitter app, clear Safari cache, reset all settings ...grrrrr.... & see if it works again.

If it does, I’ll be canceling all auto-install updates until further notice so I can attempt to isolate this issue.

Resetting all settings is a monstrous pain in the ___. While you won’t lose data (notes, contacts, 1Password data, etc), you WILL lose ALL settings so everything must be re-tweaked including removing background app refresh for 90% of your apps, setting up Apple Pay, redoing emoji preferences for each emoji that allows personalization & on & on &....

I will report back on whether or not the “Fix” works again.

Oct 26, 2019 4:02 PM in response to Deb Bert

I’ve done this “fix” weeks ago, suggested by an Apple Tech. Like you said, it worked like magic, until it didn’t. Lol.

Not only that, it was a tedious process resetting and remembering all of my settings. Apple Pay, Face ID, iMessage, etc. it was sooooo frustrating and not worth it.

I’m currently unable to open Twitter links. I’ve given up after so many weeks. I check back every now and then, but no one has found a solution it seems. I’ve scoured the Internet for just a crumb of an answer... nothing.

Oct 26, 2019 4:27 PM in response to KhalDragHo

As I stated in a later post— after the issue returned with a new Twitter app update— “Before I [reset all settings again], I simply restarted my iPhone 11. After that, links were again working. So, if you got your links working via resetting all settings, try simply restarting your iPhone if they stopped working after [the last] Twitter update.” That update came out just a couple days ago.

Twitter links won't open in app

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.