Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Newsroom Update

Apple is introducing a new Apple Watch Pride Edition Braided Solo Loop, matching watch face, and dynamic iOS and iPadOS wallpapers as a way to champion global movements to protect and advance equality for LGBTQ+ communities. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Screen Flickers 11Pro Max

Has anyone noticed a screen flicker with the 11Pro max? For example when going through photos or watching movies the screen flickers like brightness is trying to adjust to the content on screen.

auto brightness is off on my device and this is very frustrating!

iPhone 11 Pro Max

Posted on Sep 28, 2019 10:04 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 1, 2019 12:35 PM

It seems like a wide spread issue among many users on MacRumors Forum. To sum up, many iPhone 11 Pro Max devices have screen flickers in photos app when Night Shift (or True Tone) and View Full HDR enabled.

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/iphone-11-pro-max-screen-flickers-in-photos-app-when-night-shift-or-true-tone-and-view-full-hdr-enabled.2201968/

Many of us had the exact same problem reproduced when getting a replaced device (iPhone 11 Pro Max) so it would seem to be a software problem. But nothing is sure for now as we're still having the problem even now at iOS 13.1.2. @Apple please release another update soon to fix this.

82 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 1, 2019 12:35 PM in response to Liam710

It seems like a wide spread issue among many users on MacRumors Forum. To sum up, many iPhone 11 Pro Max devices have screen flickers in photos app when Night Shift (or True Tone) and View Full HDR enabled.

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/iphone-11-pro-max-screen-flickers-in-photos-app-when-night-shift-or-true-tone-and-view-full-hdr-enabled.2201968/

Many of us had the exact same problem reproduced when getting a replaced device (iPhone 11 Pro Max) so it would seem to be a software problem. But nothing is sure for now as we're still having the problem even now at iOS 13.1.2. @Apple please release another update soon to fix this.

Oct 1, 2019 5:43 AM in response to Liam710

Hi Liam710,

Thanks for posting! I understand you're seeing some display flickering on an iPhone 11 Pro Max.

It sounds like it happens when using multiple apps. Have you tried removing any cases and screen protectors to see if that makes a difference?

Have you updated to iOS 13.1.2? How to back up your iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch and Update your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch

If you find the issue still occurs after updating and testing without cases/screen protectors, you might try restoring your device to factory settings to test it while set up as new. Be sure to back up first using the steps above: Restore your iPhone, iPad, or iPod to factory settings

I hope this helps get you started. Take care.

Oct 8, 2019 2:32 AM in response to Liam710

I get a quick flicker sometimes when scrolling in Safari on my 11 Pro Max. I've heard that this has something to do with a security chip?

I have the exact same thing on my MacBook Pro 2018 as well, when scrolling in Safari, especially after switching through tabs, it has a flicker line over the screen.

Although my GF doesn't experience it on hers MBP 2018 (but only 256GB vs. 512GB on mine)

Oct 10, 2019 1:15 PM in response to Liam710

Hi!

I had the same issue with mine and, after having exchanged it for a new unit twice, it seems I have found a possible solution.

on the last unit, even with the same problem, I dowloaded the beta for IOS 13.2. and problem was solved!!!.

Later on after having installed the beta, i downgrade to IOS 13.1.2 and problem with the flickering screen wans’t there anymore.

so until official 13.2 realease, that coold be a solution that seems to have solved the problem.

Oct 20, 2019 11:58 PM in response to Liam710

I am also having same scene flickering issue in my iPhone 11 Pro Max running iOS 13.1.3 while using Photos app with HDR/Live photos.

The screen tries to adjust brightness when you view/zoom the photos. That is why this flickering is happening.

As a temporary solution, I turn off Auto-brightness in "Accessibility > Display..." settings then flickering stopped.

But, I prefer to keep auto-brightness on. I think Apple should fix this next iOS release.

Nov 1, 2019 1:25 PM in response to Xervaish

I thought it was just me with this issue.. have you managed to find a solution? I also purchased this phone for work use and am so disappointed in the constant flickering, Apple refuse to take responsibility, today they said it is “normal behaviour” .. so this afternoon I contacted watchdog as this phone has been sold worldwide faulty, such a shame I just wondered if I’d had any luck?

Nov 1, 2019 1:26 PM in response to ALi_S_ASRANi

I thought it was just me with this issue.. have you managed to find a solution? I purchased this phone for work use and am so disappointed in the constant flickering, Apple refuse to take responsibility, today they said it is “normal behaviour” .. so this afternoon I contacted watchdog as this phone has been sold worldwide faulty, such a shame I just wondered if Udhad any luck resolving?

Nov 1, 2019 1:29 PM in response to Liam710

I thought it was just me with this issue.. have you managed to find a solution? I purchased this phone for work use and am so disappointed in the constant flickering, Apple refuse to take responsibility, today they said it is “normal behaviour” .. so this afternoon I contacted watchdog as this phone has been sold worldwide faulty, such a shame I just wondered if Ud had any luck?

Nov 6, 2019 3:30 AM in response to Liam710

Very long time ago that I needed to post something here.....but now I need help and/or suggestions boys and girls! Same issue here when playing 4K movie on my iphone 11 pro max! Very annoying flickering screen. Most probably a bug in the software? Apparently this is happening a lot and it's probably not a hardware issue. I hope it isn't, because I don't like the idea of having to exchange my phone. Please fix this issue in your next update Apple!

Screen Flickers 11Pro Max

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.