Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Since iOS 13 update. . JPG problem. Cannot Load Photo. There was an error loading this photo

I upgraded to iOS 13 and now if I try to edit photos which I've uploaded from my PC to iPhone via iCloud, I get an error saying "Cannot Load Photo. There was an error loading this photo".

I can view the photos fine but if I try to upload the photo to Instagram I get this message "Could not open photo. Please try again in a moment."

Photos that have been taken on my iPhone are fine. I can edit those as I've normally done. There are instances though which I need to upload images which were not taken with my iPhone.

I can reproduce the steps.

1. I've uploaded a photo to iCloud on the Desktop.

2. I go into my iPhone or iPad and in the Photo App press edit.

The message says - "Cannot Load Photo "- I cannot edit my photo in the Photo's own App.

3. I try to load it into Instagram to edit and get the error message - "Could not open photo. Please try again in a moment".

4. I then try another tactic.

I open the Snapseed App and load the same photo into Snapseed and I receive a message saying - "This image is read-only. Saving will create a copy." So I did that and it works fine from there. I can upload to Instagram and edit a copy of the original photo from which Photo App wouldn't do.

So I got to thinking deep about this peculiar problem.

I played around with the file formats in Photoshop and saving them different ways.

If I save the file as " Save As" and then save it as a "jpeg" file, then all is okay. I upload the photo to iCloud from my PC and all is fine. I can then edit the photo in the iPhone Photo App and upload to Instagram.

However if I save the same file from Photoshop as "Save As" and then save it as a "jpg" file, I then upload that "jpg" file to the iCloud from my PC, it's then that I cannot edit that photo and that is where the error messages come in - from the Photo App when trying to edit, to Instagram when trying to upload.

Snapseed tells me that the jpg file I've uploaded is a read-only image.

So the problem is with the file jpg not jpeg. Why?

So I've discovered that to upload images to my iCloud via PC and to be able to edit those photos or upload to Instagram then they have to be an actual "jpeg" file, not a jpg file.

I hope this makes sense and I hope someone can tell me what's going on.

Why the change? I can only surmise that it's with the latest iOS update.

Posted on Sep 29, 2019 7:23 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 6, 2019 1:40 PM

Have you tried posting a picture from Photos app to Instagram? It works for me and I’m having the same issues as you are. This is a work around I discovered by accident. I’m also able to post pics regardless of jpeg name when I use Uplet. (3rd party app) It has to be an issue with iOS 13 and Instagram together. Maybe see if Instagram has a fix?

Similar questions

150 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 6, 2019 1:40 PM in response to Rosa07

Have you tried posting a picture from Photos app to Instagram? It works for me and I’m having the same issues as you are. This is a work around I discovered by accident. I’m also able to post pics regardless of jpeg name when I use Uplet. (3rd party app) It has to be an issue with iOS 13 and Instagram together. Maybe see if Instagram has a fix?

Oct 24, 2019 3:58 PM in response to Rosa07

1. When I go to Instagram app on iPad and iPhone, I get an error message 'Can not Load Photo Try again later' when I'm trying to access photos in 'My Photo Stream'.
  2. When I go to the Photo App, I select photos, but when I choose to share, Instagram App doesn't appear and there seems to be no way to select Instagram App. In the Other suggested Apps , Facebook and Messenger appear.
  3. In the Instagram App and in Photo, it is selected that Photos are read and write for the Instagram App.
  4. In the Photo App, I can select photos and put them into an Album I created prior to iOS 13 for Instagram Photos, which has about 10 photos. When I go to Instagram App and choose the Instagram Album, the only ones that will not give the 'Can Not Load Error' are photos that I had already posted to Instagram prior to iOS 13.
  5. I have noticed that in the 'My Photo Stream' description on my iPhone and iPad, it says that the photos can be viewed and are not loaded onto your device, so does that mean they can only be uploaded from or edited on the device on which the photo was originally taken? On the device that I took the photo, I can upload pictures to Instagram if the photo is in the the 'Recent' album, but I will get the 'Can not load' error for that same photo when I select it from 'My Photo Stream'. Prior to the update, I was able to upload photos that appeared in 'My Photo Stream' from iPhone or iPad, didn't matter if I took the picture with that device.

Dec 11, 2019 2:20 PM in response to Rosa07

I am having the same issue. A large range of images that I uploaded via the webinterface cannot be edited on the iPhone.

Here is a set of observations, all after uploading the images via webinterface. importing them into the iPhone doesn't lead to the issue

1. Base image: NEF raw file:
    • convert to jpg with imagemagick CLI --> cannot edit
    • convert to jpg with imagemagick CLI, then open in e.g. GIMP and export as jpg, upload --> can edit
    • any image: download via phone, pull into files app and back to photos -> can edit
    • take "broken" image, edit in GIMP, upload --> can edit

Also, I have explored the EXIF data with both `identify` and `exiftool` (tools available on both macos and linux) and I couldn't find any metadata on these images that could warrant that the iOS devices cannot open them. While many values are different depending on the tool used to export the image, none seemed to predict what works and what doesn't.

Dec 11, 2019 11:23 PM in response to Rosa07

OK I found a stable solution (for me)

1. rename to e.g. JPEG (not jpeg!).
  2. change the file in a way that makes it *not* have the same hash as a file that was already uploaded to iCloud before!

if you take a file that doesn't work, download it and rename it to JPG JPEG jpg jpeg, uploading all of them, it won't work as it seems to always reuse the same file. This originally lead me to dismiss the file extension hypothesis. However, taking a defective file, renaming it to .JPEG and then rewriting just one field in the metadata (such as exiftool -copyright='contact ....@gmail.com' *.JPEG) solves it for me consistently. I just uploaded 5000 images of which more than half weren't editable. Now they all are.

Jan 1, 2020 3:25 AM in response to Rosa07

I have been following this specific thread as I too started to experience issues editing most of my photos, I later found out that;

1. This only occurs to Live Photos, all other photo formats are editable.
  2. It is possible to download the same photo from iCloud to Windows PC, but I will get a zip file which contains a JPG and a MOV of that photo, and still no option to access the Live features
  3. Once I change the extension of that same downloaded file to jpeg, then send to phone again, it will lose the Live features and will end up like those other photo formats I have

Oct 13, 2019 5:48 PM in response to Rosa07

Having a similar issue. Just upgraded to iphone 11pro and iOS13. After restoring from my back up in iCloud, I can’t edit any pictures, see any Live Photo’s, post photos to instagram, or send anywhere from the photos app, and most of my older photos are blurry when I try to look at them in the photo app (though I think this is because they are stored in a lower resolution on the phone instead of the cloud).

this is even happening with new pictures I take on the phone. Wildly frustrating. Any recommendations? Here is a picture of the error message I get when I click edit (took this pic less than an hour ago)

Sep 29, 2019 6:34 PM in response to Rosa07

I have the same issue on my iPad running iPadOS. But it only happens for some of my photos. There seems to be no pattern as to which photos I can edit and ones I can't. All my photos are .jpg not .jpeg. Also if I Airdrop the same photo to my iPhone I can edit it. I don't get it. I tried copying all my photos again from my desktop back to iCloud and still have the same issue.

Sep 30, 2019 1:00 AM in response to mystical172

I hope Apple has an answer.

Further to my looking into this problem, all my photos on my iPhone and iPad are .jpg as well. I can edit the original photos on the devices without any dramas.

However, if I download the same .jpg photo from iCloud onto my desktop and use say, for example Photoshop to edit and add a watermark and I re upload the same photo to my device via iCloud then the Photo App says "Cannot Load Photo".

So I discovered that when I save my .jpg photo from Photoshop as .jpeg then upload that photo to iCloud via desktop then the Photos App accepts the photo.

It's a nightmare. It's an image file format bug or a deliberate move on Apple's part

So virtually, for me, downloading any photo from iCloud to desktop and then editing them, then re-uploading those edited photos from Desktop to iCloud renders the photos useless as I get the error message "Cannot Load Photo".

This also happens with any photo which I upload to iCloud from my desktop from my Sony and Cannon Cameras. Photos App won't open the photo.

I have a ticket for this problem so hopefully I get an answer and I will post here.

Oct 5, 2019 10:09 AM in response to Rosa07

Hello. I’m having the same issue. All photos I have edited with any of my photo apps are not being accepted by Instagram. However, when I use the Uplet app - a 3rd party app that lets me upload multiple pics from my desktop, IG accepts them. I have a feeling the bug is a combination in IOS 13 and IG. It seems any pics edited even with correct jpeg tag are being rejected by IG. Facebook has no issues upload from my iPhone (cloud).

Oct 5, 2019 11:20 PM in response to m5zealot

I've tried uploading to Instagram and it won't open the photo. It will to Facebook though.

it's not a known issue within Apple engineers, but they know now and were very interested in what I had told them.

I was on a lengthy phone call conversation with them describing the issue. At the same time I shared my PC screen and my iPhone screen with Apple and they could see what was happening when I upload to iCloud via pc and what happened with that photo on my iPhone. I've also submitted hard copy evidence with Apple and also told them it was a problem with many, going by the discussions in their Apple forum.

I won't know anything until Wednesday 9 October and I will post here once I find out. Cheers

Oct 5, 2019 11:29 PM in response to m5zealot

From my own investigations, it seems that photos uploaded to iCloud with .jpg extension is what is causing the problem.

If I change the file extension to .jpeg through Photoshop save as - then upload it to iCloud via my desktop then I can use the photo on my iPhone fine. I can then post to Instagram.

There seems to be a problem with a file extension miss matched in iCloud.

The engineers are on to it and hopefully I have an answer by Wednesday.

If you have Snapseed Photo App on your device, you can grab that same photo that Photos won't open and then export that photo through Snapseed to you photos library and from there you can post to Instagram.

When Shapseed first opens that photo that Photos won't open Snapseed gives you a message that "This is a read only photo any changes will make a copy"

Just goes to show me that any .jpg photos we upload to iCloud is giving us a problem.

Oct 6, 2019 1:36 PM in response to Rosa07

That is weird and somehow contradicts my findings. Instagram doesn’t seem to care if the pics are jpg or jpeg uploaded to the cloud. I saw this because the work around I mentioned previously, I’m able to get photos to post on Instagram with zero issues if I initiate the post from Photos.

I simply choose a photo and click the send to icon and pick Instagram. I’m not able to tag people or add location obviously and have to go on Instagram to make changes later. I’m a heavy poster - almost 10k post so this bug is very annoying and time consuming. Did you mention my experience with them? That could be a crucial component for their troubleshooting. Thanks.

Since iOS 13 update. . JPG problem. Cannot Load Photo. There was an error loading this photo

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.