Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

3g not working on iphone 11 pro iOS 13.1.1

Dear Team,

It seems my iPhone 11 pro doesn't get data when on 3g, but i am able to make/receive calls. It connects to the network, i can see the "3g" symbol at the top, but no apps and services have data. This is both for esim and normal sim card, from different vendors. I've been troubleshooting with my carrier for some time and we got to this conclusion.

2g/edge/4g work perfect but not 3g. Anybody got a similar issue? I want to make sure that this isn't a software issue before sending it to repair. And yes, i tried to factory reset, reset network, switch data on and off, airplane mode, different location and different sim cards (which work in other phones, different bands). WiFi and Bluetooth work fine just in case somebody asks.

I am running iOS 13.1.1 on an iPhone pro 11.

Thanks

iPhone 11 Pro

Posted on Sep 30, 2019 6:51 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 5, 2019 1:01 PM

Update 2: I found a fix to this problem! the problem is .... the esim (surprise surprise). In certain conditions if you have the esim setup, it will affect the connectivity (3g in my case) on your phone, no matter if esim or normal SIM card.

The easy fix is to remove the esim configuration every time you experience this issue and re-add it. The 3g will start working again even on the normal SIM card .

Simply turning the line off and on again will NOT solve the problem, you need to completely delete the esim profile/data. resetting the network configurations also won't help. Remember that you will likely need connectivity (wifi or another SIM card) to activate you esim card.

I had to do it once a day (at least) which is quite annoying , so annoying I have stopped using the esim card from my carrier and went back to a normal one. Since then, everything works perfectly. I could not determine the triggering event for this issue (ie poor network, airplane mode, vpn, wifi etc etc) but it's definitely a big problem.

I discovered few other things during these days of troubleshooting:

• If you use an on demand vpn connection and you enable mobile data switching between esim and the normal SIM card, the vpn only works once and it is not able to connect again

• I have a messaging app that every time I use mobile data it warns you about possible charges and costs showing a pop up saying "you are using a [X]g connection to make this call...". When I was using the esim, no matter what band I was using 2g/3g/4g , the app kept saying "you are using 2G" ... and when I went back using the normal SIM card it was then able to recognise the network I was using properly. (not sure if it s the app or the OS fault for this one)

It looks like esim is out there but maybe the whole thing is not fully supported and/or implemented and that's a shame because that's surely the future. No wonder why many carriers are not implementing it right now : they don't want to have these kind of issues and they are waiting for a more mature product.

My take on this is do not exclusively rely on an esim card, not just yet.

iOS 13.1.2 , iPhone 11 Pro

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 5, 2019 1:01 PM in response to devynx

Update 2: I found a fix to this problem! the problem is .... the esim (surprise surprise). In certain conditions if you have the esim setup, it will affect the connectivity (3g in my case) on your phone, no matter if esim or normal SIM card.

The easy fix is to remove the esim configuration every time you experience this issue and re-add it. The 3g will start working again even on the normal SIM card .

Simply turning the line off and on again will NOT solve the problem, you need to completely delete the esim profile/data. resetting the network configurations also won't help. Remember that you will likely need connectivity (wifi or another SIM card) to activate you esim card.

I had to do it once a day (at least) which is quite annoying , so annoying I have stopped using the esim card from my carrier and went back to a normal one. Since then, everything works perfectly. I could not determine the triggering event for this issue (ie poor network, airplane mode, vpn, wifi etc etc) but it's definitely a big problem.

I discovered few other things during these days of troubleshooting:

• If you use an on demand vpn connection and you enable mobile data switching between esim and the normal SIM card, the vpn only works once and it is not able to connect again

• I have a messaging app that every time I use mobile data it warns you about possible charges and costs showing a pop up saying "you are using a [X]g connection to make this call...". When I was using the esim, no matter what band I was using 2g/3g/4g , the app kept saying "you are using 2G" ... and when I went back using the normal SIM card it was then able to recognise the network I was using properly. (not sure if it s the app or the OS fault for this one)

It looks like esim is out there but maybe the whole thing is not fully supported and/or implemented and that's a shame because that's surely the future. No wonder why many carriers are not implementing it right now : they don't want to have these kind of issues and they are waiting for a more mature product.

My take on this is do not exclusively rely on an esim card, not just yet.

iOS 13.1.2 , iPhone 11 Pro

Sep 30, 2019 8:17 AM in response to devynx

Sorry about that. Reading all the troubleshooting steps you already performed, I've thought that was the only possible "alternative" settings.

Just to make sure, what happens if "your" SIM card is installed into a different iPhone? does it work in 3G?

After that, I'm clueless... I suggest that you have your device inspected at an Apple Store or AASP. After checking it out, they'll give you all the available options.

Please keep me informed.

Thanks and regards.

Giulio

Sep 30, 2019 2:47 PM in response to ProustGiulio

Update: 3g works far from the area where i tested (which is a big area, 10 miles radius). When i went back to my area (several miles away) it stopped again. So i've done some more troubleshooting:

Got a sim card from the same vendor and as expected IT WORKS in 3g on my spare iPhone SE and another Android phone but it does NOT WORK in 3g on my iPhone 11 Pro

.. so I've done some research and the only difference i found is that iPhone 11 Pro does not support the 800mhz band.. but.. in my area no such band is allocated for 3g (at least not officially from my carrier.. ?) . I asked the carrier and they say it's not that..but i really can't find any other difference since 3g works 65miles away from where i am based.

Any help here is greatly appreciated

Oct 1, 2019 1:11 AM in response to devynx

Thanks for sharing your attempts, devynx.

I don't know what carrier you're using nor the country you're living in. Here in Italy I contacted two friends of mine (11 Pro model A2215 owners, one of them using TIM, the other Vodafone, both using 1 physical SIM card, since in Italy eSIMs are not available yet) and they do not suffer any problem using cellular data on 3G.

I would insist contacting your carrier (possibly speaking to a chief technician) and see if they can figure it out.

In the meantime, I will continue to investigate and, if I have any news on the matter, I will let you know.

Regards

Giulio

3g not working on iphone 11 pro iOS 13.1.1

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.