Newsroom Update

Apple is introducing a new Apple Watch Pride Edition Braided Solo Loop, matching watch face, and dynamic iOS and iPadOS wallpapers as a way to champion global movements to protect and advance equality for LGBTQ+ communities. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhone 11 Pro intermittent cellular connectivity issue

iPhone 11 Pro on T-Mobile. I picked up my iPhone 11 Pro on 9/26 and since then, I have encountered cell service drops about 5 times. When I lost cell service, iPhone 11 Pro indicated it was still connected to T-Mobile (at least a couple of bars). I could not make a call or there was no internet connectivity. Disabling and enabling cellular service did not work. Enabling and disabling Airplane Mode also did not work. I had to power cycle my iPhone to resolve this. I know this is not just a cellular issue because while the iPhone 11 Pro was having trouble with cellular service, my iPhone 7 had no issue (also on T-Mobile).

I think I'm not the only one with this issue as one iPhone 11 Pro reviewer has the same issue. I am trying to find where I read about it.

iPhone 11 Pro

Posted on Sep 30, 2019 2:01 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 20, 2019 1:16 PM

Since the day I got my 11 Pro Max, I’ve been unable to get LTE (or 5GE, as AT&T calls it) almost anywhere. In the rare instances that I do get a connection, as soon as I enter a building, it’s gone.

My first step in trying to resolve this was to call AT&T, but they immediately told me that they had already gotten “thousands” of calls about this issue with the 11. He didn’t specify Pro or Pro Max, he just said 11, but “thousands” was the word he used, which I’m assuming (hoping) was hyperbole. He said there was nothing they could do and that I needed to go to Apple.

I brought it to the Apple Genius Bar and they replaced my SIM card, but that did nothing. So I made another Genius Bar appointment, and they replaced my phone. I’m sorry to say, however, that the new phone has exactly the same problem.

In cases where I really need to use cellular data (because there’s no Wi-Fi available), I turn off Enable LTE in Settings, but that works only slightly better. Then, after a short period of time, it no longer works at all, and I have to restart my phone.

So I made yet another Genius Bar appointment, but the person with whom I met basically blamed it on AT&T and said I need to deal with them. (I pointed out that that’s where I began, and that they sent me to Apple, but that meant nothing to him.) He claimed that he wasn’t aware of this being a widespread issue. I pointed out that there are additional pages dedicated to it on the discussion forums every day, but he completely dismissed that.

So now I have a $1,600 phone that only connects to data on Wi-Fi.  I’m going to wait until iOS 13.2 is released and, if the issue persists after updating, I’m going back to the Genius Bar and demanding a new phone (the last guy I dealt with wouldn’t even consider it), since some people have seen the problem resolved with a replacement.

I bought the original iPhone, and I’ve upgraded every year since. I’ve never had a major problem like this with any prior phone, so this situation is extremely disappointing, to say the very least.

60 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 20, 2019 1:16 PM in response to Changren Yong

Since the day I got my 11 Pro Max, I’ve been unable to get LTE (or 5GE, as AT&T calls it) almost anywhere. In the rare instances that I do get a connection, as soon as I enter a building, it’s gone.

My first step in trying to resolve this was to call AT&T, but they immediately told me that they had already gotten “thousands” of calls about this issue with the 11. He didn’t specify Pro or Pro Max, he just said 11, but “thousands” was the word he used, which I’m assuming (hoping) was hyperbole. He said there was nothing they could do and that I needed to go to Apple.

I brought it to the Apple Genius Bar and they replaced my SIM card, but that did nothing. So I made another Genius Bar appointment, and they replaced my phone. I’m sorry to say, however, that the new phone has exactly the same problem.

In cases where I really need to use cellular data (because there’s no Wi-Fi available), I turn off Enable LTE in Settings, but that works only slightly better. Then, after a short period of time, it no longer works at all, and I have to restart my phone.

So I made yet another Genius Bar appointment, but the person with whom I met basically blamed it on AT&T and said I need to deal with them. (I pointed out that that’s where I began, and that they sent me to Apple, but that meant nothing to him.) He claimed that he wasn’t aware of this being a widespread issue. I pointed out that there are additional pages dedicated to it on the discussion forums every day, but he completely dismissed that.

So now I have a $1,600 phone that only connects to data on Wi-Fi.  I’m going to wait until iOS 13.2 is released and, if the issue persists after updating, I’m going back to the Genius Bar and demanding a new phone (the last guy I dealt with wouldn’t even consider it), since some people have seen the problem resolved with a replacement.

I bought the original iPhone, and I’ve upgraded every year since. I’ve never had a major problem like this with any prior phone, so this situation is extremely disappointing, to say the very least.

Oct 2, 2019 5:31 PM in response to Changren Yong

Good afternoon Changren Yong,

Welcome to the Apple Support Communities!

I understand you have encountered intermittent dropped calls with the iPhone 11 Pro using T-Mobile. iOS 13.1.2 was released September 30. If you have not done so already, please update your iPhone to the most recent version and check to see if there is an update from your cellular provider as well. Restart your iPhone after the updates to refresh the network connection. Then go to Settings > General > Reset > Reset Network Settings - Please note that this also resets Wi-Fi networks and passwords, cellular settings, and VPN and APN settings that were used before.

Update your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch

Update your carrier settings on your iPhone or iPad

Take care.

Oct 27, 2019 11:14 AM in response to Changren Yong

I’m having the same issue in France with my iPhone 11. I have reset the network setting, restore iOS and replace the SIM card. Still unfix. Using airplane mode do the trick for a few minutes but then back to no data. I have the issue only in area with a good network coverage. In area with weak signal no issue. Here is an other subject with people having the same issue. https://discussions.apple.com/thread/250651248

Dec 8, 2019 3:10 PM in response to Changren Yong

I have this exact problem on Verizon. My phone will go up to 1 hour at a time where it has no data service. This can happen in a location where I normally have perfect LTE. My wife, also on Verizon, has no such issues with her iPhone X. Both are on latest iOS. Given what I’ve gone through, the only conclusion is a hardware or software defect with the 11 Pro.

None of the steps below fixed the problem. I’m planning to return the phone at this point:

• Reset network settings
  • Reset and erase all settings/phone and setup as new phone
  • New SIM
  • Replace phone with a new iPhone 11 Pro

Oct 26, 2019 9:07 PM in response to Changren Yong

The first time I ever noticed this problem, I thought it was related to Bluetooth, so I tested with Bluetooth off, but the issue persisted, so I ruled that out. When I read your question, however, I decided to test again in one of the places where I could never get an LTE signal. Now don’t ask me why lol, but the issue has resolved itself in that location. I get a signal regardless of whether Bluetooth is on (with or without being connected to a device) or off. Keep in mind that I’ve only tested that one location so far, but believe me when I tell you that I could not get even the weakest signal there before. It’s as if a fix was pushed to the phone without any indication of same. I’m in complete disbelief but very happy just the same lol. I’ll test at other locations in the coming week but, in the meantime, I’d be curious to know if your phone is performing properly where it wasn’t before...

Oct 27, 2019 11:20 AM in response to Kevin Tiernan

Yeah, Bluetooth wasn't it. It happened Friday evening and disabling Bluetooth did not bring the cellular data service back. Fortunately, I managed to capture the baseband logs (Apple support had me install a baseband profile for capturing baseband logs) during the outage and I am currently submitting the logs to Apple. Hopefully they will be able to figure out what's going on from these logs.

Oct 30, 2019 10:33 AM in response to Changren Yong

I updated to iOS 13.2 yesterday. That update was soon followed by a carrier update, to T-Mobile 39.1 (I believe it was 38.1 prior to the update). I haven't encountered the issue since the update but of course it's still too soon to tell. The issue didn't occur for several days after I updated to 13.1.3 and then it started showing up a few times a day.

Oct 30, 2019 12:38 PM in response to Changren Yong

I was having the same problems with my iPhone 11 Pro! Several times I could hear the other side of the line, but they could not hear me. I couldn't even "Press 3 to speak to someone" when I called for help. I spent HOURS on the phone with both Apple Support and AT&T. (They both claimed it was a temporary network problem.) From the looks of these comments and all of the different providers, this is not a cellular carrier problem. We reset and rebooted everything. After several days, I finally went to the Genius Bar and was essentially told that there was no solution. I returned my phone to AT&T (because it was within 14 days) and bought another phone from Apple. It seems to be working okay for now...for whatever reason...fingers crossed.

Nov 4, 2019 12:24 PM in response to Kevin Tiernan

This is my story exactly! Got the most expensive iPhone 11 Pro Max and have not had a consistent cellular connection since i got it out of the box.

Internet won’t connect via 4G on AT&T. randomly it will work but only for short periods.

Approximately 50% of calls are going straight to voicemail. I’ll have someone call and it will go straight to voicemail, even if I have full bars.

Visual voicemail does not work. It will go through periods of working then it won’t connect and I have to dial the voicemail manually. For a period of a few days my voicemail did not work at all and wouldn’t let me leave me a message.

Talked to Apple and they made me fully rest the phone. Same problems persisted. Talked to AT&T and they said it was a hardware problem and that I needed to work it out with Apple.

Nov 5, 2019 4:11 AM in response to Changren Yong

I bought IPhone 11 last week and sine then I repeatedly report the device almost every 30 minutes and sometimes I need to do it twice,

I changed the sim and reset the network I called my service provider ,also my phone running ios 13.2 but still facing the issue and it’s really annoying. I used to use IPhone x before this phone and I didn't face this issue

please anyone can help

Nov 5, 2019 10:48 AM in response to badr215

I understand your frustration. I was in a similar boat until I updated to iOS 13.2 (along with a corresponding update to the carrier setting for T-Mobile). I suggest contacting Apple support regarding your issue. Tell them you would like to capture the baseband log when this issue is occurring so that you could submit the logs to Apple for troubleshooting.

Nov 7, 2019 5:12 PM in response to Changren Yong

I'm having the exact same issue with a Verizon iphone 11 pro in the US. I feel like I have a very expensive ipod at the moment because it's worthless without wifi. I can't make/get calls usually and have no cellular data. Navigation is a nightmare without it. Been escalated to a senior tech at apple but all she did was tell me my phone is up to date and I should go get a new sim. Will see if that works but I'm guessing it's not going to do anything to help. The iOS is a dumpster of garbage right now and isn't doing the most basic things a phone needs to do.

iPhone 11 Pro intermittent cellular connectivity issue

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.