Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhone 8 Not staying connected to cellular service.

My iphone8 has started dropping my cellular connection after about 30 seconds and gives 'no service' rather than bars, even when signal is 3-4 bars. If I turn Airplane Mode on and off, it will search and find cellular network right away, but only hold connection for 30 seconds or so then no 'no service' again.

My wife has same phone & cellular service and in the same room has service and I don't. So it's not the cellular service. Seems like my phone's cellular circuit has gone bad. Anything I can try to trouble shoot this?

I've done shut downs and reboots but no joy.

iPhone 8 Plus

Posted on May 5, 2021 5:03 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 7, 2021 5:46 AM

Thank you Destiny, I went thru the sequence you suggested, the 1st 2 didn't accomplish anything, but I found I had an IOS update available, 14.5.1. Just by beginning the process of downloading and preparing for the install, the issue went away after 7 days of frustration. It's now updated and running fine.

Similar questions

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 7, 2021 5:46 AM in response to destiny241

Thank you Destiny, I went thru the sequence you suggested, the 1st 2 didn't accomplish anything, but I found I had an IOS update available, 14.5.1. Just by beginning the process of downloading and preparing for the install, the issue went away after 7 days of frustration. It's now updated and running fine.

May 6, 2021 12:57 PM in response to jwentf

Hello Jwentf,

Thank you for using Apple Support Communities. Based on your post, your iPhone randomly shows 'No Service' and switches between being connected to cellular. We'll do our best to assist.

Given the issue, we'd recommend to try out: If you see No Service or Searching on your iPhone or iPad

Which might bring you to update your carrier settings: Update your carrier settings on your iPhone or iPad

Also, see: If you see an Update Failed or Apple Pay Not Available alert after iOS update or restart

Hoping these solve it, take care!

iPhone 8 Not staying connected to cellular service.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.