Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

macbook pro A1706 screen goes black

Anyone having issues with a finicky screen going black? If I close it and open it again, it's fine but if I readjust the screen it goes black. I'm assuming a hardware issue but you never know. I reset the PRAM just to see if that resolved the issue...no dice. Thanks in advance.

MacBook Pro with Touch Bar

Posted on Sep 30, 2019 8:41 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 6, 2019 10:56 PM

No dice @Stephvtx.

They are only honoring the backlight issues that the link @juanito182 provided. They did a full diagnostic at the Genius Bar and looked into the screen (while it was black) and said it didn't come under the extended warranty plan. Weird thing is, unbeknownst to me, my son had the same thing happen to his computer (same exact model) 3 months after we bought it. He doesn't live at home so he took care of it on his own. Fortunately it was under warranty. Both computers were bought as refurb's. I've never purchased a brand, spanking new computer from Apple. "Garp's Rule", I guess when the plane flies through the house...you figure it won't happen again. Refurb's are gone through twice so I justify it that way.

They want $475 to fix it. I'm going to check on a local LA Mac authorized house to see if it can be done cheaper and/or, mosey over to iFixit and see what the level of craftsmanship will be needed to do it myself.

I wish I had better news to tell you.

7 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 6, 2019 10:56 PM in response to Stephvtx

No dice @Stephvtx.

They are only honoring the backlight issues that the link @juanito182 provided. They did a full diagnostic at the Genius Bar and looked into the screen (while it was black) and said it didn't come under the extended warranty plan. Weird thing is, unbeknownst to me, my son had the same thing happen to his computer (same exact model) 3 months after we bought it. He doesn't live at home so he took care of it on his own. Fortunately it was under warranty. Both computers were bought as refurb's. I've never purchased a brand, spanking new computer from Apple. "Garp's Rule", I guess when the plane flies through the house...you figure it won't happen again. Refurb's are gone through twice so I justify it that way.

They want $475 to fix it. I'm going to check on a local LA Mac authorized house to see if it can be done cheaper and/or, mosey over to iFixit and see what the level of craftsmanship will be needed to do it myself.

I wish I had better news to tell you.

Sep 30, 2019 9:58 PM in response to pkeenan

I have a 2016 MacBook Pro and having display issue when the display goes black when opening beyond 45 degrees.

I tried bringing my issue with the Apple Store and they have denied my claim. I’ve tried calling as well with no avail, since they claimed that the store has the final say.

here the service program that I saw my issue under.

I think your is eligible under this as well.

https://support.apple.com/13-inch-macbook-pro-display-backlight-service

I felt like apple service is going down hill.. I posted my questions earlier and am sure it’s just probably going to be ignored.

I hate to say this. As an apple user for years, I think am going to switch to PC products soon. The quality of apple products is no longer premium quality.

If you get lucky on getting your laptop covered under the program service, please let us know.

Oct 7, 2019 5:34 PM in response to pkeenan

Hi,

I just want to let you know that based on the diagnostics by an apple authorized service provider located in silver lake (Los Angeles). It is the back light issue. They service my laptop and now its all fix and am very happy and will highly recommend them.

Here are there information:

Mikey's Hookup

2395 Glendale Blvd

Los Angeles, California 90039

www.mikeyshookup.com

Phone: 1 (323) 741-0330

I highly recommend them!!!! They did a fantastic job on mine! :)

macbook pro A1706 screen goes black

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.