Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

error code 4010 why does it keep showing

error code 4010 keeps popping up when I am going to restore it on iTunes pls help it says an unkown error 4010 iPhone could not be restored

iPhone 8 Plus

Posted on Oct 1, 2019 6:31 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 16, 2019 5:28 PM

Apparently the only Apple employee that knows what error code 4010 is the person who created it. My support person has been trying for a long time now and I'm having trouble finding a direct answer on the internet. If you see an error in iTunes on your Mac or PC is no help with error 4010. People should not be directed to that page.

62 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 16, 2019 5:28 PM in response to cp from OH

Apparently the only Apple employee that knows what error code 4010 is the person who created it. My support person has been trying for a long time now and I'm having trouble finding a direct answer on the internet. If you see an error in iTunes on your Mac or PC is no help with error 4010. People should not be directed to that page.

Dec 8, 2019 11:11 AM in response to perceivedobsalescence

If it still doesn’t work with a genuine Apple cable, you are going to have to turn off your windows firewall while you do the operation. Just put the phone into recovery mode https://www.makeuseof.com/tag/restart-iphone-recovery-mode/, turn your windows firewall off, then plug the phone into your computer and iTunes should say there’s a phone in recovery mode would you like to update and restore. Just say yes and you should be good to go. If you are using a third party antivirus you need to turn that off with the firewall, windows and Apple stuff just doesn’t play well together sometimes with their security. DON’T FORGET TO TURN IT ALL BACK ON AS SOON AS YOU ARE DONE. 

Good luck bud, have a great day!

Dec 18, 2019 1:58 PM in response to Brecramur

It is 12th of December 2019 at the time of writing this. I was not able to use macOs High Sierra anymore to factory reset iPhone 6S Plus in DFU mode. I had to upgrade my macbook pro laptop macOS to Maverics in order to bypass error 4010. I was not successful using Windows 10 Home either.

AppStore of macOS High Sierra did not offer any updates for iTunes. AppStore did not initially provide any updates for iTunes just after upgrading to Maverics was complete either. I plugged in my genuine Apple Lightning to USB cable to my iPhone 6S Plus phone while iTunes application was open on macOS Maverics. At this point iTunes gave me an information box that the iTunes application needs to download updates. I assume updates for iTunes application itself because it closed and relaunched after completing the download. There was a brief "validating with Apple" style of information on top part of the iTunes application displayed at the point of process where the error 4010 had previously jumped in.

My conclusion is that error code 4010 could also be interpreted as "Unfortunatelly you seem to be one of our customers prone to drag down the speed of information technology development. We want you to buy all of our latest models of equipment at least every second year - with happy face of course."

I do not know which I would be more pleased. To see the second coming of Jesus or Steve Jobs raising from the dead.

Dec 19, 2019 7:24 AM in response to kristianep

Turn off windows defender and antivirus, put your phone into recovery mode then plug it in. Make sure you are using genuine apple cable, cheap gas station cables may charge ok but they don’t carry data very well and windows antivirus and firewall doesn’t play well with Apple sometimes it’s just a fact of mixed operating systems. Follow this advice and it should get you through as it has a lot of other folks.

Jan 2, 2020 2:28 PM in response to Brecramur

Hello,

Since I want to restore my iPhone SE, I have the same message who tell me that iTunes can't restore my phone, error 4010.

So I tried many things to fix this f*cking error, and the last thing I've do solved my problem.

I've just disconnect my Apple account on iTunes and retry the restoration, and at this moment, the process ended successfully!

I hope my answer will help you!

PS: Sorry for my roughly English, I'm French! ^^

Dec 23, 2019 12:27 AM in response to Brecramur

I have done everything listed in the replies. I have made sure and used the right cable. Itunes is up to date as well as windows. Firewall and antivirus are disabled and yet it is still stuck on preparing iphone. It is in DTU mode as i type this plugged into my laptop stuck on the preparing screen. Does anybody have any idea what is going on?

Jan 7, 2020 12:58 PM in response to chxysen

Well then turn off your windows firewall and try it again windows firewall and antivirus sometimes doesn’t play well with Apple. Please don’t be snippy about it I don’t work for Apple ad I help you people out of kindness without a dog in the fight lol. a lot of folks have been helped by my advice so take what you can use and leave the rest.

Jan 17, 2020 1:08 PM in response to Brecramur

I was having this problem while attempting to restore a prehistoric iPad 2 on Windows 10 pro. Due to this thread I tried turning off my private and public firewalls, to no avail. It did eventually work when I turned off domain firewall, private and public firewall, real-time and cloud-delivered antivirus protection. I'm unsure which of those additional three did the trick, but it did work.

error code 4010 why does it keep showing

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.