Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

[iOS 13.1.x] Next / Previous car stereo buttons do not function when playing back music from a Playlist

Hello all,

Here's a weird issue for you.

It seems that using the Next / Previous buttons - which should take you to the next / previous song - in my car - be they accessed from the steering wheel controls, or from the stereo itself (hard buttons or on-screen buttons) - are not functioning if I play back music that is in a playlist.

When I am using a playlist then the current track number out of total track number counter; eg 1/82 does very briefly display 2/82, but the current track never pauses playback, and does not advance to the next track.

I've tried having the play method to repeat all, or shuffle, and the behaviour is the same.

If I select the stereo's "Songs" option, which allows playback of all the songs on my phone, then the buttons do work. Which leads me to believe it's something playlist related.

I'm positive that I did not see this when my phone (iPhone 11 Pro Max) was running 13.0, and it's only happened since upgrading to 13.1.x (I am unsure if it happened with 13.1.0, or one of the two current updates)

Has anyone else experienced a similar issue?

My car is a 2014 Kia Forte 5 SX Lux with Navigation.

iPhone 11 Pro Max

Posted on Oct 2, 2019 7:01 AM

Similar questions

5 replies

Oct 3, 2019 4:03 PM in response to markuswarren

I thought I would update my own thread with some additional testing I've performed to try and narrow down what may be happening.

I borrowed an iPhone XR running iOS 13.1.2, and added a few albums, plus the playlist I had seen the issue with. I tried the phone in my car and it exhibited the same issue when attempting to go to the next / previous track in the playlist. I also verified that the next / previous track functionality works if you are in the "Songs" option, and also if you pick and artist and go to an album, or pick an album, that the next / previous options still work.

I then downgraded the phone to iOS 13.0 and added the same albums and playlist back onto the device, and the issue was not present, I could use the next / previous options in a playlist, and the next / previous options still also worked in the other areas mentioned above.

I have now upgraded the phone to iOS 13.1 and the issue does occur. So it would appear to be a problem within iOS 13.1.x

Oct 17, 2019 5:46 AM in response to markuswarren

iOS 13.2 beta 3 has been released and it does seem to fix the issue! :)

Given it's a beta I would not advise anyone to install it on their primary device, and that they should wait to see if the issue remains fixed in future betas of 13.2, and is also still fixed in the final release of 13.2

It being fixed in the latest beta is encouraging and I suspect it'll remain fixed in 13.2 final

[iOS 13.1.x] Next / Previous car stereo buttons do not function when playing back music from a Playlist

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.