Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Explanation of IPhone Factory Reset

Hi, I generally know what happens and what gets deleted when you factory reset a phone. I still have some questions though.

1) What DOES get saved after a factory reset?

2) My IPad and my IPhone share the same phone number (I can text from my IPad and then start texting to the same person/group chat from my iPhone). They share the same contacts too. Will my contacts on my IPad be deleted if I factory reset my IPhone?

3) Will my phone number change (related to question 2)?

4) Not a question, but I just want to know any surprises or problems someone experienced after factory resetting their phone (if there are any).

Those are all my questions, any help appreciated. Thanks!

iPhone XS

Posted on Oct 2, 2019 7:54 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 2, 2019 8:00 AM

1. Nothing gets saved except the installed version of iOS.
  2. No, your iPad contacts are separate.
  3. No, your phone number is on the SIM card, so if you don't change the SIM card the number won't change.
  4. You shouldn't get any surprises - except note that you will have to disable Activation Lock to factory reset the phone. If it wasn't your Apple ID that was used to enable it you will be surprised to find out that you can't use your phone ever again unless you know the Apple ID and password that were used to enable Find my iPhone.

If anything else occurs to you post back.

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 2, 2019 8:00 AM in response to Gabrielesdv

1. Nothing gets saved except the installed version of iOS.
  2. No, your iPad contacts are separate.
  3. No, your phone number is on the SIM card, so if you don't change the SIM card the number won't change.
  4. You shouldn't get any surprises - except note that you will have to disable Activation Lock to factory reset the phone. If it wasn't your Apple ID that was used to enable it you will be surprised to find out that you can't use your phone ever again unless you know the Apple ID and password that were used to enable Find my iPhone.

If anything else occurs to you post back.

Oct 2, 2019 8:06 AM in response to Gabrielesdv

For what reason are you restoring your phone?

Nothing is saved when you restore to factory settings. Restoring to factory settings means restoring to out of the box condition. Restoring as new is what you will be doing. You should create a backup before you restore.

Your iPad does not share the iPhone number. It receives your text messages via text message forwarding from the phone. If you erase the phone, you will have to set that up again. The exception to this would be is if you are using iCloud messages. If you are, as long as you don’t delete any of the texts on either device, they will still be on the iPad.

None of this will affect your phone number. You will still have the same phone number assuming that you are going to keep the phone and set it up again or even get a new phone and set it up.

Restoring a device to factory settings or even erasing a device in the setting, will not have any effect on your other devices as long as you do not delete any content that syncs with iCloud.

Restoring to factory settings and/or erasing a device in the settings does not delete content from iCloud, only from the device itself.

Explanation of IPhone Factory Reset

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.