Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Yeti Blue Microphone versus Mac computer

Understand that Yeti Blue is no longer compatible with Mac OS since High Sierra. The so called fixes I see on YouTube are nonsense. The microphone should be plug and play through any USB port. Is there anyone out there who has found a proper fix for this problem or do I put my microphone up for sale on eBay?

Mac Pro

Posted on Oct 2, 2019 7:30 PM

6 replies

Oct 2, 2019 8:36 PM in response to elderly gent

Blue Yeti documentation indicates OS X 10.10 and later are supported. No caveats listed.

Same OS X 10.10 and later version listed for Blue Yeti Pro.

I’m guessing you’re having troubles. What might those be?

Yeti, or Yeti Pro?

I’m seeing a report of power draw on the USB and that might exceed what laptops can provide, and a powered hub might help there. Looks like Blue Yeti Pro requires a separate 48V power supply, and there are vendor drivers for Blue Yeti Pro.

Oct 3, 2019 3:56 AM in response to MrHoffman

I believe it is a Blue Yeti. No ID on it except for the "Blue" logo. Does not have the "USB", just the symbol at the usb jack.

I just installed on my (new for me) MacPro (High Sierra) and unless I was hallucinating it functioned once (I made sounds and believe I saw the input level react) upon initial connection and since then I get the red light but no input or earphone, yet it is recognized as "USB Advanced Audio Device" in both Output and Input Sound device. When selected for Input the Input volume slides to a new level and the Input level gets excited all the way upscale but just oscillates without any relationship to actual sounds. I have tried front, back and powered hub jacks, all with the same results. When selected for Output there is no sound in earphones which are connected.

I have not seen any other ID besides "USB Advanced Audio Device", nothing like "Blue Yeti" to facilitate identifying it.

Oct 3, 2019 5:43 AM in response to elderly gent

If you are referring to one of these - https://www.bluedesigns.com/products/yeti/

Then it is treated by the Mac as a generic USB microphone. No software is required and it simply shows up as an audio input option in System Preferences -> Sound.

We have two of these and use them regular in Mojave with no problems. For newer Macs with USB-C connections we simply use a USB-C to USB-A adapter.

The audio quality is vastly superior to the built-in mic especially when trying to listen/record multiple people around a table.

Oct 3, 2019 6:01 AM in response to John Lockwood

Further investigation-

Recorded video as a test and mic is inputing continuous hiss and voice can be detected behind the hiss. Downloaded Blue Sherpa and it does not detect the mic indicates "Oh No!"

Also tried W/10 laptop and that's where I first discovered the hiss...does the same in Windows or Mac.

Think Yeti is broken and now communicating with Blue. I wonder about the videos on YouTube about Yeti's not working on Mac???

Thanks for your interest.

Oct 3, 2019 8:54 AM in response to elderly gent

Try a different Blue Yeti. Your testing implies a problem with the mike or with the USB cable, if the mike gain isn’t set all the way up, and if there isn’t ambient background noise.

I have a Yeti around here (somewhere), and will try it on a Mac booted to High Sierra tomorrow.

Your opinion of YouTube might be adorable, if that service weren’t filled with hate and propaganda, all intended to engage. Yes, there is some good content over there. That unfortunately inundated in the sea of cringe, stupid, and dangerous also found over there.

Yeti Blue Microphone versus Mac computer

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.