Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

problem with logic recognizing USB mic

Hi community,

I just did a software upgrade to Big Sur 11.3 and Logic doesn't recognize my Blue Yeti mic. I can turn off my Mac and turn it on with the mic already plugged in but it's not really practical. I'm using Logic 10.6.2.

Any advice for getting Logic to recognize my USB mic?

Thanks in advance!

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 11.3

Posted on May 3, 2021 6:48 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 4, 2021 11:06 AM

Another thing to do is reset Logic's preferences.

Upper left Logic's Pro menu / Preferences / Reset All Preferences Except Key Commands

After doing this quit Logic, restart the computer (with mic unplugged) After the computer starts and settles (1 minute) plug the Mic in, wait a few seconds and start Logic. Go to Logic's Preferences and reset the Input and Output devices. As mentioned before, make sure the Audio track channel strip is MONO and set to the correct input.

11 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 4, 2021 11:06 AM in response to alanrichardkelly

Another thing to do is reset Logic's preferences.

Upper left Logic's Pro menu / Preferences / Reset All Preferences Except Key Commands

After doing this quit Logic, restart the computer (with mic unplugged) After the computer starts and settles (1 minute) plug the Mic in, wait a few seconds and start Logic. Go to Logic's Preferences and reset the Input and Output devices. As mentioned before, make sure the Audio track channel strip is MONO and set to the correct input.

May 4, 2021 7:48 PM in response to Pancenter

oh man, I'm either getting further away with each test or I am missing something fundamental. This hasn't happened in 7 years, zero problems. I tried unchecking core audio, applying and closing/opening logic again. No luck.

In the system settings when the mic is plugged in after I turn it on, the mic doesn't show up on the list of devices in 'input'. The only time I have no problem is when the mic is plugged in before I turn my mac on.

Any other advice? Should I restore to default settings? Any advice on how to do that?

When I unplug the mic I get this message (picture attached)

May 4, 2021 5:39 AM in response to Pancenter

Hey there,

So I open Logic, preferences, audio and input device. If I power up my Mac with the mic already plugged in, the device appears in the list but if I don't have the mic plugged in then it doesn't appear in the list.

Even if I click save project as I close down Logic, then when I re-launch it, it's listed as the input device but when I go to record it says 'no input selected'.

I feel like I'm not doing something fundamental.

Do you know how to set up the mic from the beginning?

May 4, 2021 10:56 AM in response to alanrichardkelly

alanrichardkelly wrote:

Hey there,
So I open Logic, preferences, audio and input device. If I power up my Mac with the mic already plugged in, the device appears in the list but if I don't have the mic plugged in then it doesn't appear in the list.

Yes, that's normal, Logic checks what devices are present in Core Audio as it starts.

The Mic preference is Global and not project related. Logic will try to use the last device you selected, it it's not found Logic will let you know on startup.

When you get the No Input Selected, do you have the correct input set on the Audio Channel Strip you're recording on?

You can also go into Logic and reselect the Mic. Always use the Same USB port.

May 4, 2021 1:59 PM in response to alanrichardkelly

Ok, when the Mic is plugged in and NOT working, go to Logic's Preferences/Audio deselect Core Audio then Apply Changes, then Re-select Core Audio and Apply Changes. But WAIT! make sure all volumes of output devices are turned off, there is a chance of very loud white noise. Normally de/re checking core audio is not a problem but it's difficult to tell where the disconnect is happening.

How do you have the Mac's System Preferences/Sound set? Select the computer's Mic for an input but turn the input level off. Restart the computer....keep testing.

May 5, 2021 1:53 AM in response to alanrichardkelly

I've pretty much exhausted my list of things to try, seems it's definitely related to Big Sur as you didn't have problems until the upgrade. The last thing I can think of... is that The OS is not assigning power or enough power the that USB bus unless it senses the Mic plugged in at startup. If you have or can borrow a quality "Powered USB Hub" you could try plugging the Mic into the hub and the hub into the computer's USB port, a powered hub does not rely on bus power. Just a guess, borrow one if you can as I have no idea if that's the problem.

Also, contact the Mic manufacturer and see if it's a known problem or they have any ideas. Contact Apple as well any OS upgrade tweaks hardware settings, it's not the first time an Apple OS has caused USB problems. The next OS upgrade may fix the problem... it's a crapshoot.

problem with logic recognizing USB mic

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.