Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

No longer able to attach photos to an email with iOS 13.

Since installing iOS 13.1.2 on an iPhone XR, I am no longer able to attach photos from the Photos app to any emails I compose. The mail app crashes and the phone returns to a home screen. Repeatedly.

NB: It is possible to instead open the photos app and select photos to send by email, however if you want to reply to an email by attaching a photo to the reply, the mail app crashes.

This issue began as soon as the iOS 13.1.2 update was installed.

Doesnt Apple test for this basic stuff before they release updates?

iPhone XR

Posted on Oct 2, 2019 8:46 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 3, 2019 3:13 PM

Hi All,

I spent several hours on the phone with various reps at Apple as they painstakingly gathered logs, even video of the bug.

I opened a case with Apple Support on October 3rd, 2019 and since that time there have been some additional updates to iOS 13.

None of the updates address or resolve the issue I am encountering with the iPhone Xr. Fortunately, the Apple rep was able to replicate bug, so at least we can rule out it being something specific to my device.

If you want to replicate this bug, you need to do the following steps, exactly>

1. Open any email that you have received.
  2. Choose REPLY
  3. Type any text at all into the text field as a reply. (It is important that you type something in the reply first.)
  4. Press and hold on-screen to bring up the black bar menu: [Cut | Copy | Replace | BIU | Look Up | Share... | Quote Level | Insert Photo or Video | Add Document | Scan Document, Insert Drawing ]
  5. Select the menu option: Insert Photo or Video
  6. Choose a photo from the Recent Photos (or All Photos) selection
  7. Watch the Mail app crash.

I am currently running iOS 13.2.3

Problem has not been rectified.

Similar questions

14 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 3, 2019 3:13 PM in response to deggie

Hi All,

I spent several hours on the phone with various reps at Apple as they painstakingly gathered logs, even video of the bug.

I opened a case with Apple Support on October 3rd, 2019 and since that time there have been some additional updates to iOS 13.

None of the updates address or resolve the issue I am encountering with the iPhone Xr. Fortunately, the Apple rep was able to replicate bug, so at least we can rule out it being something specific to my device.

If you want to replicate this bug, you need to do the following steps, exactly>

1. Open any email that you have received.
  2. Choose REPLY
  3. Type any text at all into the text field as a reply. (It is important that you type something in the reply first.)
  4. Press and hold on-screen to bring up the black bar menu: [Cut | Copy | Replace | BIU | Look Up | Share... | Quote Level | Insert Photo or Video | Add Document | Scan Document, Insert Drawing ]
  5. Select the menu option: Insert Photo or Video
  6. Choose a photo from the Recent Photos (or All Photos) selection
  7. Watch the Mail app crash.

I am currently running iOS 13.2.3

Problem has not been rectified.

Oct 2, 2019 8:58 PM in response to auchenskeoch

I have been updating my iPhones every time a new release is available and have never faced an issue in last 10 years. I still have my I Phone 4S iOS 9.3.6 (Current), 6 iOS 12.4.2, SE & 8 with latest iOS 13.1.2 and iPad with iPadOS 13.1 and having no issue whatsoever.  I must admit that I have never downloaded any spurious apps directly from internet. 

Please look at the apps that you may have downloaded which may be triggering this behaviour.

Oct 4, 2019 7:44 AM in response to auchenskeoch

GIF demonstration above, posted by SravsnKra does NOT replicate the steps that cause Apple Mail to crash.

The steps that cause Apple Mail to crash on an iPhone XR with iOS 13.1.2 are:

1. Open Mail and open any email in your inbox.

2. Type in ANY text to reply to that email. (Even just the word “test”.)

3. Press and hold the screen to bring up the menu bar to add a photo from the Photos app.

4. Select a photo to add.

The mail app then crashes.

Oct 25, 2019 8:31 AM in response to auchenskeoch

Since my update to 13.1.3 both on brand new iPhones Xs and old 6s, (and when syncing through Catalina Finder which used to be iTunes) - I cannot share photos from iPhone that were synced and in albums.

To be clear, the current camera roll pix are sharable, but any 'from my Mac' do not attach to email, airdrop, text, etc. (Also note, it's NOT corrupted pix, because a. they send perfectly fine from computer and b. I took a new picture with the Xs and airdropped it to my computer, dragged it into an album in PHOTOS app, and synced it again onto iPhone. The same picture wouldn't work from 'from my Mac' album.)

The share icon is there on the bottom, and it successfully goes to the next screen where there are choices, but as soon as you touch one of the icons, it glitches and goes back to home screen.

Yes I've reset to factory settings more times than I can count. To the Apple store twice. One solution? Just screen shot the pix. NO! This used to work! The capability is there, it's just failing.

Dec 3, 2019 1:10 PM in response to fromlj2u

I’m having the same issue on a brand new seventh generation iPad running iOS 13.2.3, and the same issue occurred on my iPad Air, a few years older, running the same new iPad OS

If I insert the photo first in a new message, Mail doesn’t crash. But if I type some text, press down, choose the Insert Photo option, and select a photo, poof! Mail just disappears and I’m taken to the home screen.

It doesn’t happen if I reply to a message, but only when I create a new one.

I can’t replicate this on my iPhone XR still running OS 12.something, and a friend tested this on his iPad Mini, OS 13.2.3, and couldn’t replicate it.

Dec 5, 2019 2:45 PM in response to auchenskeoch

I continue to experience the exact same issue. It’s maddening. I cannot reply with requests to attach screenshots, etc. Nobody at Apple has been able to assist me, even in person at the Genius Bar. Sort of shook their heads, started a ticket but no resolution.

thanks for raising it here, deggie. Will continue to follow this thread and will share if I get any useful follow up. This is kind of a big deal—can’t believe it hasn’t been fixed.

No longer able to attach photos to an email with iOS 13.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.