Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Now I forgot to change home directory name and can't use admin account. How can I change it back ?

I change my admin user name from User and Group setting. But I forgot to change home directory name and reboot it. Now I can't use admin account. My account was changed to "Standard" roll. How can I change it back to admin ?

Posted on Oct 3, 2019 9:36 PM

7 replies

Oct 4, 2019 2:45 AM in response to po67

If it was merely that the home directory folder name did not match the new user name then a quicker solution would be to boot in 'single user mode' or to the recover partition.

In single user mode you are put straight in a text terminal style interface and via that you could access and rename the home directory. In the recovery partition you can launch Terminal and again rename the home directory.

Oct 4, 2019 3:00 AM in response to dialabrain

dialabrain wrote:

Does that work with no Admin account as mentioned above?

'Maybe'. :)

Certainly both approaches give you terminal access with full admin level control. Whether after renaming the home directory that alone restores admin access I do not know as I don't deliberately cause this sort of problem and therefore have not seen this problem in real life.

Now I forgot to change home directory name and can't use admin account. How can I change it back ?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.