Newsroom Update

Apple Music today announced the release of its 100 Best Albums of all time, a list crafted by Apple Music’s experts alongside industry professionals. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Converting songs to MP3

I used to be able to convert Itunes songs to MP3 versions. Is this not available any more?

Posted on Oct 3, 2019 9:59 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 4, 2019 10:59 AM

Actually I went to the help site and after tedious searching found out that a newer version had changed my conversion settings in the General category from mp3. to AAC. Very annoying and I suspect is Apples competition with Spotify which doesn't accept the AAC format. I don't use Apple Music but thank you for responding. All is right with the world again. Well at least at my house.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 4, 2019 10:59 AM in response to Jimzgoldfinch

Actually I went to the help site and after tedious searching found out that a newer version had changed my conversion settings in the General category from mp3. to AAC. Very annoying and I suspect is Apples competition with Spotify which doesn't accept the AAC format. I don't use Apple Music but thank you for responding. All is right with the world again. Well at least at my house.

Oct 4, 2019 11:58 AM in response to dback1

For future reference, you should note that the convert to option (File/Convert/Create -- version) will have the format used for importing from CD. (No, it makes little sense, but that's how Apple have designed it.)

So to convert an existing digital file (already in your iTunes Library) to MP3, the setting in Edit/Preferences/General/Import Settings needs to be set to Import Using: MP3 Encoder.

Converting songs to MP3

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.